• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

I'm Cutting My Family Off. But Is This Wrong?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't have much to do with my family, some of them I don't at all but the ones I do occasional see I've decided I'm cutting them off now. They're unhealthy, they gossip and tell lies about me and criticise me and I'm sick of it. I also feel like they play a game where they can behave in a bad way but if I defend myself or react in an angry way I'm a bad person and punished for it by ignoring me or not sending birthday cards etc. I fully support myself so it's no loss to me, but a decision I've also made which is not very nice is I'm also cutting my 16yr old half sister out too (but not completely). She's not had a nice upbringing but she's taking it all out on me and has no respect for me. I've tried helping her financially, emotionally and even offered to take her in (she refused) but everything gets thrown back in my face. But she is still very young and this isn't her fault. However I have to put my mental health 1st this time round and start thinking of myself for once. What are your opinions on this? Am I going too far?

I had to break off contact with my entire family for the same reasons. I believe it is a very difficult choice but you will be safe from them if you do not have contact with them.

There are so many people who have done this as well so you are not alone. Good for you. I wish you the best in this good choice you are making. Hugs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back