• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

"...i'm Dyslexic..."

Status
Not open for further replies.

lostforgottensoul

MyPTSD Pro
Would that be too much information to say to a co-worker? And would that make you feel weird about me? Like want to shy away from me?

Ok, ok, context. We were in a team meeting at work. My supervisor and about 7 co-workers and myself. There were a few new people. I get paired up, or used to, with new people and on my old team used to listen to calls live and provide help via IM.

Ok, so I work in an incoming call center as tech support for internet, PCs/mobile devices, phone, and now IPTV (residential). And its casual. Jeans and t shirt and usually team meetings are pretty laid back and fun (depending on the sup but mostly all laid back). So it's not like a board room meeting that most see meetings as and I am sure the Excs in the building have.

So, incoming call center. We have a software phone that pulls calls into whatever queue you are trained for. We have "Ready in" meaning you will get a call and then "After Call Work" (ACW) which means you won't get a call and its to do things like finish notes or whatever. You are allowed, on average, 30 secs of ACW a month. All stats are averaged monthly and then yearly for your end year review/preformance review.

So a new guy was asking two things, the first my sup answered but the 2nd I answered as it technically goes against policy. He asked that if you set yourself to go into ACW directly after the call, do you get in trouble. I answered this as you aren't supposed to but I have my phone to always go into ACW and if I am done and don't need it I just hit Ready In to take a call. She didn't get upset that I advised something against policy. She got upset because I stated "I have it set to do that because I am dyslexic" (meaning I cannot type and talk, it is impossible, and many times must do so to finish up notes. As long as I stay 30 ish secs then they don't care. It's against policy because people forget they are in ACW).

So, a few days later she pulls me into the conf room to go over a call and the tone on the call and what not, what not. In that same "meeting" she also said to not give out "personal information" like that and that the new people were all looking at each other weirded out by me. Which made me feel horrible! She didn't care that it was against policy. She cared I said I was dyslexic at all and I don't get it. It's not like I said it from left field.

She knows I am on pain meds (in an internal pain pump) and compared it to drinking too much wine while out with friends. If I had too much to drink out with friends I would probably tell you something way more personal like whom I slept with the day before or something. Not that I am dyslexic.

It was relivant and it is why i have the settings setup as such. And I could of said it without why I have it setup that way but I am not getting the big deal.

What am I missing here? I do seem to overshare but I don't see being dyslexic as personal info and its a casual setting. I don't know. I know that I struggle learning how to be approprate around others. Thoughts?

Last edited:
I am getting the feeling she thinks dyslexia is something different than it is. It is pretty common and something people tend to make known because it does affect many areas of life, especially work.Iknow my husband has several cowrokers that are dyslexic. I have never met them, but when he talks about co-workers and friends at work, he'll be like, "She has red and purple hair, total goth, dyslexic and from Mississippi. I think you would get along with her."

Seriously, I think her reaction is very weird.

Seriously, I think her reaction is very weird

Thank you!

I was talking to another co worker about it as mostly it was about my tone (of voice...anxiety) and it was our "last talk" before a final write up. But I got to that part and Im like, wait, I don't get why thats a big deal.

Anyway, I just wanted to see if i was missing something or what.

I would ask her what she thinks dyslexia means.

Hmmm, I may. Not sure how to bring that up but will think about that.

But f*cking google it for god sake. At least before you "have a talk" with the employee.

Ugh! I seriously miss my old sup (whom, why the way, knew about my mental health issues as its a huge thing when it comes to being nice when people are screaming at you and he was totally cool with it. I didnt make that known as that would be personal info but yeah).

** Sigh **

I have dyslexia, too. I have said many times in my life and people is very much into it, it is very common. I agree with @Fadeaway. Seems she doesn't know much of what its about. And to share personal stuff, it would be if I say in a meeting: I have my period now, I suffer from hemorroids, something with any relation with my work... But dislexia, come on...

...whut?

Seriously.. I mean it sounds like she thinks you just confessed you're a nymphomaniac. I would very much ask her what she thinks dyslexia is, because her response sounds like she thinks it's something utterly different.

Saying you're dyslexic is like saying "I type slowly" or "I need a little more time to process" or any other basic confession that affects your work performance. It's just something you adapt to to increase your productivity. It's hardly a deep dark shameful secret-you might as well claim that someone in a wheelchair should cover it with a sheet, or someone with one limb should never reveal the other is a prosthesis.

Being Dyslexic is personal, but not a personal matter-it affects you, personally, but it's concerning typing and reading and words. So, in a job where you need to type and read, etc, you should be able to voice it. Especially since one of your new people could also be dyslexic and you telling them tips on how to adapt should they need to without trying to figure it out on their own is quite conscientious of you.

Sounds like someone needs a vocabulary lesson.

Sorry you had to deal with this. Mostly because... ignorant. Unfortunately there are a lot of folks out there who will pretend to know what things mean and act on them incorrectly, you just have to either avoid them, or in work environments, be patient with them.

I'm curious what she would have done now if you said you were dysgraphic. A small mean part of me visualizes her screaming and running for the hills. :P

I'm curious what she would have done now if you said you were dysgraphic. A small mean part of me visualizes her screaming and running for the hills.

Haha!

Yeah, I see it like saying I'm a bad reader or even I'm right handed like I said before but didn't know if I was thinking of it wrong but it seems I wasn't.

Thanks guys. When she said that the new people were looking around, like they felt weird near me, made me feel horrid! But then i thought about it and im like "wait, what? Why would that be personal info?"

Agreed that I don't think that word means what she thinks it means.

OR The fact that you're accommodating an ADA disability on your own, instead of by company HR Accommodation Protocols etc. sent her into a brain-melt & she's projecting her sudden OMFG! :eek: discomfiture on everyone else. :rolleyes:

A totally unnecessary brain-melt, by the way. If you're able to accommodate your dyslexia within company parameters (30 seconds), then it's a non-issue for her. But if you're not? Any write-ups, loss of pay (including bonuses) etc., the company is on the hook for your being mistreated.

So your very casual drop of the word dyslexia may have actually spelled "lawsuit" & "incompetent management" & "in breech of the American Disabilities Act" & "I'm going to get fired for not appropriately handling this issue" in her head.

When she said that the new people were looking around, like they felt weird near me, made me feel horrid!
I don't like her behaviour on this. Are you sure «the new people felt weird near you»? Can she prove it? What kind of people is that «new people, then»? Have someone gone at her and said: I feel weird because she is dislexic??? Hahahaha, sorry, but I don't think so...and if its true, her duty is to defend YOU. I agree with @Friday, she is proyecting her OMG! Well, this is my opinion, no way you feel innadecuate or similar. It is HER problem. All the best, girl :)

OR The fact that you're accommodating an ADA disability on your own, instead of by company HR Accommodation Protocols etc. sent her into a brain-melt & she's projecting her sudden OMFG! :eek: discomfiture on everyone else. :rolleyes:

Maybe? I don't know. She's a weird bird to figure out. I have FMLA for 2 extra breaks a day, when needed, for anxiety. And they always gives me something else extra that we aren't even asking for. Last time it was an hour a year i think for an office visit. I think this time its 2 hrs a month or something. I dont know, anyway, she goes "its different to tell me but to tell the team, its improper." I think you're right. That it sent her to OMFG mode in her mind as I also have an internal pain pump and all my sups have been advised of all of my medical issues that could effect my job. One day i was seriously falling asleep at my desk. She said all leaning back and stuff. I think that was the seriquel which i also started with her as my sup and she has been way accomdating so yeah, i think it sent her to OMFG in her head because i am THAT employee lol.

Can she prove it? What kind of people is that «new people, then»?

Nope, she cant prove it. Just what she said.

I don't know anyone's name. Everyone seems to know my name as I hear "Hi [LFS]" about 5 times a day but i know no one's name but the 2 i currently sit next to. Until tomorrow as I'm moving desks. So yeah.

ETA: I don't know what kind of people they are but one guy seemed cool. He stopped me when going downstairs to get some lunch to talk to me. I seem to be a star here lol. Im loud so thats probably why. But they all seemed impressed and ask me a ton of stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back