1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Daily Dose

Get the last 24hrs of new topics delivered to your inbox.

Click Here to Subscribe

I'm Stressed! Cat on Lasix

Discussion in 'Social' started by Grama-Herc, Oct 21, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Grama-Herc

Grama-Herc I'm a VIP

:crazy: Ok guys, I am not crazy. My cat fell off his 5ft perch and knocked himself silly. Took him to the vet and I am the proud owner of a cat with a very weird heart deformity and he is now on lasix 2 times a day. Have any of you guys ever tryed to give a cat a pill?????? It is safer to walk in mine field!

2. Register to participate in live chat, PTSD discussion and more.
  3. hodge

hodge I'm a VIP Premium Member

Oh, yeah, Herc! Our senior cat has to have pills twice a day. He gets 2 quarters of a small tablet in the morning and one quarter at night - all of which are small enough to fit into little chunks of Velveeta cheese. He scarfs it right up.

If your cat's med is a powder in capsule form, you could try opening the capsule and dissolving it into beef or chicken broth. That worked for our dog last week.

Poor guy! Good luck!

4. Grama-Herc

Grama-Herc I'm a VIP

Hodge! We are doing fairly well on giving the pills, finally. But this poor cat! His heart is so screwed up I don't see how he made it to 12 years old. Anyway, thanx for the quick response. Hiding the pill in his treat has work well.. Again thanx from Herc AND BC the cat

5. cactus_jack

cactus_jack Well-Known Member

Humorous memory involving cats-

Reminds me of something really stupid me and a friend did to one of his cats. That's back when I was experimenting with him with marijuana. We got his cat stoned good. Had a hell of a time holding the cat down for that. But I swear after that the cat was so chilled out, it was wild. His neighbor kept a black lab in the back yard, and these two USED to fight like, well, cats & dogs. After this when the dog would be at the fence barking, instead of giving a hiss with the hair on the back of the neck raised, it would just sit there.
    I recall this one time me, my friend, his daddy, and his daddies GF were out having a BBQ in their back yard, and the neighbor lets out his dog. Here comes his dog barking like there ain't no tomorrow. Gets to the fence and won't stop. The cat is slowly walking by, sits right in front of the dog at the fence, who's now going orbital over this cat, and the cat just sits there looking at the dog. He licks his front paw, looks at everyone at the BBQ grill and gives a gentle "meow", then gets up and walks slowly away. Buy now that dog is going so psychotic I think even it's owner was getting worried!

Sorry! IIRC 12 years is equal to 84 years. So the cat is 84 years old. Surprised he's lived this long.

6. hodge

hodge I'm a VIP Premium Member

Must have been all that TLC :) I'm sorry that he has a heart deformity, though discovering it now may add some good years to his life.

7. EmoxxKid

EmoxxKid Active Member

Whoa....

Is kitty's head ok as well...

and my god...giving a cat a pill must be ....a feat...lol

8. Grama-Herc

Grama-Herc I'm a VIP

In my past life, giving pills to a cat was IMPOSSIBLE However, I have tripped over or fallen onto a good hint. Last January for no apparent reason I started giving all my cats(I have 3) a treat every morning?????Well now all I have to do is make the treat soft with some water, put the pill inside and announce to "all" it is treat time and bingo B.C. has taken his pill. We returned to the vet today and B.C. is doing better. His heart chamber has diminished in size, but still enlarged but just not quite as big. His meds have been cut in half. As far as his head goes---without offending ANYONE----B.C. is my "blonde" He has always gone through life with his head in the clouds, but he is getting better Thanx for asking and shouwing you care HERC AND B.C.

9. mouse

mouse Well-Known Member

I feel for you Herc, my 8 year old dog was just Dx. with Diabeties and pancreatits so I get to give her insulin shots day and night and they dont really like those either but Giving a cat a pill is very comical if you are just a fly on the wall , who knew little fluffy was so strong and stborn. Herc I wish all the best to you your kitties and the medication administration

10. Portabella

Portabella Well-Known Member

Oh Herc, so sorry to hear of your beloved kitty, is the outcome a long life with this? You will be in my thoughts. How is the kitty after the fall? How are you fairing? Hope all is well, and take gentle care of you....T.

11. Grama-Herc

Grama-Herc I'm a VIP

Well guys, I have been better. But the cat is OK, I think. Right now we are in the wait and see mode. The medication B.C. is on is for his fluid retention and also another pill for high blood pressure. Now comes the KINK so to speak. The current meds help the heart but hurt the kidneys. If we try to treat the kidneys we hurt the heart! So we are on a wait and see basis. He seems to be OK so far, but I never knew a 9 lb. cat was capable of creating so much pee! I know his bladder is not this big. He is eating and taking his meds like a very good boy, thank goodness!

I on the other hand--well--I'm a wreck as usual. But this too shall pass RIGHT???? And a message to Mouse. I am so sorry to hear about your dog. I could never give a shot to my guys. EVER! It just would not happen. I admire you for your dedication to your pup Congrats for that. Some people think this kind of dedication to our pet friends is a waste of time and money. I am not one of them! KUDOS!!!!!