• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Importance Of Psych Assessments

Status
Not open for further replies.

quaintpapercut

MyPTSD Pro
I had a psych assessment a couple of weeks ago to satisfy the powers that be (insurance company & work) and I just received a copy of the report today. Aside from feeling like all the skin has been peeled from my body, I'm also very angry at myself for under reporting a lot of my symptoms and the impact it has on my life and current functioning.

It seems like I can't get past the need to project an image of myself that is well put together, competent and seemingly unaffected by my history. While the diagnosis and a majority of my symptoms were confirmed I really wasn't honest about a number of things. As an example, my anxiety. To be honest, I really don't remember what I said about it but I was surprised to read that I apparently reported that I don't experience anxiety everyday. Not to mention that I reported my mood as not being depressed at all, even though I've been struggling with extreme feelings of sadness, lack of motivation and helplessness for months. I wish it was only those two examples.

What was I thinking :facepalm:

I'm not sure I have a reason to be concerned as it relates to how the insurance company views this information. The diagnosis, key information and symptoms are pretty much similar to what my psychologist has provided, but according to the psych assessment my symptoms are not as debilitating and my functioning not as impaired. To give context my psychologist reported my symptoms as "severe" and the psych assessment as moderate.

Does anyone have experience with this type of discrepancy? If so, has it impacted your eligibility for disability?

I also have a tendency to under report my issues, for fear of being labeled in some way I can't handle.

I have not had your particular experience of worrying about disability etc, but I certainly feel the bit about needing to project an image of health and competence. I feel that if my outward image matches how I feel inside, I'll only feel worse and less capable of engaging with the world.

I send my sympathies to you. :shy:

Qaintpapercut,

I relate enormously. I am a very honest person (I thought) and always thought of myself as honest but under-reporting like this ended up with me having a really bad misunderstanding with my T a few years ago and that started me on the journey to face how much I do this.

It then made me realise I have essentially lied in all the assessments I have ever had. As a result I tried to force myself to be accurate the last one I did (when I started realising what was what with all this trauma stuff) and it was excruciating. Its impossible to put into words how hard I find it and how much I second guess myself.

I am not dealing with insurance companies so that is different and am not applying for disability. Can you speak to your psychologist about this and ask his advice? Its good that he has reported accurately.

Are you referring to the DES (dissociative experiences scale)? Or the MID (please forgive, I THINK this is the abbreviation for the other test I took but I can't find the full name)?

The first time I took the DES I had a score that put me on par with a normal non-PTSD person dissociating. (Everybody dissociates to some level). The MID(?) showed I definitely had PTSD. Three months later I was approved for SSDI, however I was in and out and in and out of the hospital during this time so obviously the powers that be didn't let a test score override all the other evidence.

As a result I tried to force myself to be accurate the last one I did (when I started realising what was what with all this trauma stuff) and it was excruciating. Its impossible to put into words how hard I find it and how much I second guess myself.

Hmmm. This just made a lightbulb turn on in an otherwise dark corner! I think it would be a huge challenge for me to go in and actually be honest. It's not only the under reporting but it is also the behaviours/symptoms that I exclude for a variety of reasons, whether it's me not being able to face it or being worried about the moral implications of disclosing (what the person may think of me).

SOL- they psych didn't use any scales other than recording a GAF score (to my knowledge). She asked me a prescribed set of questions, but it didn't seem like the questions were standardized. I actually would prefer a test score over all of "flowery" language of assessments as I feel its so subject to interpretation.

Gotcha. Both times I took these assessments I was given them on paper. It wasn't an interview type situation.

It's not only the under reporting but it is also the behaviours/symptoms that I exclude for a variety of reasons,
Me too! And forcing myself to say more that last time really exposed how much was tied up in it. Normally I am pretty rational in therapy and I was ... hysterical is the only way I can describe it. And felt terribly threatened and afraid after and during. And I too think there are also judgements I fear that add to the mix. On an instinctive level.

I hope it goes OK. Do let us know.

PS. Have to keep myself honest. I don't think being not being able to speak or shivering uncontrollably would fit "rational". :rolleyes:

And felt terribly threatened and afraid after and during.

I felt that way afterwards. I think it might be because the matter is now out of my control - the report will be written, assessments and judgements made and there is nothing I can do to alter the outcome.

I don't think being not being able to speak or shivering uncontrollably would fit "rational".

I think its a rational response to dealing with something very difficult.

I hope it goes OK. Do let us know.

:tup:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back