1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Inability To Feel Emotions

Discussion in 'Symptoms & Other Disorders' started by Frankie111, Nov 24, 2011.

1. Frankie111

Frankie111 New Member

2. Alittlelost

Alittlelost New Member

To me it's a feeling of frustration. Frustration because I feel nothing about the events. It's actually frustrating trying to explain. I've used many negative coping mechanisms in the past to prevent remembering certain experiences which i believe has left me disconnected from my feelings, so I unable to put a time frame on the numbness.

I asked this question to my therapist: if I feel nothing about the experiences then why is it a problem? Because your experiencing it in different ways. eg nightmares, flashbacks, negative coping mechanisms. But why is that happening if I don't feel anything? Sorry that's off the subject a little.
  3. Anna

Anna VIP Member

Yes. I had emotional numbness for over 2 months. Then suddenly listening to a song suddenly triggered this flood of emotions. It was overwhelming. I cried for about 20 mins and felt very sad. Then afterwards the numbing came back. Was bizarre.
  4. Martin Taylor

Martin Taylor New Member

Yes, I have had it on and off. Sometimes stronger than others. It's something I'm working on right now, as a matter of fact. Used to be worse, but getting better. There were times I liked pain because it meant I was feeling something, rather than not.
    Idontevenknowanymore likes this.
  5. Martin Taylor

Martin Taylor New Member

Speaking of songs, I've often felt like the singer of Pink Floyd's "Comfortably Numb".
    Anna and VDWngr1355 like this.
  6. VDWngr1355

VDWngr1355 Well-Known Member

I have felt numb for the past four months. I think I am getting closer to feeling again, but it is frustrating not to be able to cry or enjoy feel joy.
    Idontevenknowanymore likes this.
  7. Anna

Anna VIP Member

Also the U2 song "Numb" as well.
  8. Meadowsweet

Meadowsweet VIP Member Premium Member

I was numb for about 4 years. I didn't feel or have any emotional reactions like fear, tears, anger. But I thought feelings. By that, I mean that I knew how I ought to feel and believed that to be feeling. Smoking a lot and drinking helped keep that numbness.

My emotions came back gradually after I became pregnant. But there are many factors as to why they came back - a) I stopped drinking and cut down smoking. b) I was by myself for longer periods of time c) I did a night course in aromatherapy where people talked openly about how scents made them feel. d) an emotional response to feeling protective over my children.

I have short periods of numbness now, but they are more like mental exhaustion following a period of intense stress or anxiety. It feels like a break from constantly looking out for dangers because I give up caring about living or dying. But as soon as Ive got energy back, I start panicking that Ive not cared.