• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Inability To Hold Pee

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since the physical and sexual trauma, I am unable to hold my pee. Try as I might, the muscles seem not to work or my brain does not connect with them...my T says it is most definitely due to the trauma, but it's so frustrating. I cannot go anywhere that is not within some distance of a bathroom! I have peed myself multiple times, today being one of them, so I generally wear black bottoms. Does anyone else experience this? Has it gotten better over time?

Since the physical and sexual trauma, I am unable to hold my pee. Try as I might, the muscles s...

I didn't have that from my physical and sexual traumas, I dont think. I did have that from MS relapses when they were really bad. There are some medications that you can get and they work pretty good, there are a lot of meds that are off label use for this, in other words its for something else but a side effect is you need to pee less. A lot of those meds are anti depressants so be really informed about all that if you decide to ask your Doc. He might just decide to give you something for your ptsd that helps with incontinance when you dont really want it. Some drugs are just for the bladder issue and nothing else, like Vesicare.

There's some subtle stuff you can wear. If Lisa Rinna from Beverly Hills Housewives can do a comercial for them wearing her Spanx and a yoga outfit than they're pretty undetectable!

I know you're looking for advice on the trauma part of why you are dealing with this, but I thought maybe a practical idea from somebody else who has wondered if they wet their pants in the middle of a grocery store might help.

I have interstitial cystitis. If I go more than a couple days without taking my medication, I have the same problem. Have you been evaluated by a doctor to look for a treatable cause? I went ten long years with the problem, until one doctor said, "Let's take a look at your bladder." After a 20 second painless scope to look at the inside of it, I had a diagnosis and a treatment. Not saying it will be the same for you, but I AM saying I wish I wouldn't have hidden it from my docs for ten years. I could have saved myself a lot of trouble and embarrassment. It's possible that whatever you have going on can be treated with a simple procedure or medication. You don't deserve to suffer.

Have you ruled out medical causes? There's roughly 2 dozen treatable medical conditions which can cause this, including chronic asymptomatic (pain free) urinary tract infections or STDs, which are cured with a week or three's worth of pills, and is one of several things easily tested by peeing in a cup & a blood test. Don't even need an exam for them. Other things, meanwhile may need exams &/or surgery to correct damage that's been done to the area, but most medical incontinence has very effective treatments.

If all possible medical causes have been ruled out? Then it's probably a symptom of anxiety; either the sympathetic/parasympathetic switch, or the autonomic v somatic. Both of those require essentially retraining potty training, which is a lot more difficult than taking pills for a week, but totally doable :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back