1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Daily Dose

Get the last 24hrs of new topics delivered to your inbox.

Click Here to Subscribe

Inpatient Vs. Outpatient

Discussion in 'Treatment & Therapy' started by jade, Dec 20, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jade

jade Active Member

How do you decide which therapy will be best for yourself. This I a question that I have been pondering for a while. I think I already know what my answer is but I als have to keep in mind what is best for my family.
    On one hand there is out patient working with a therapist on a weekly basis , coming home from sessions a total mess and trying to go on with the daily activities. The kids have been through so much already. But I will still be with them on a daily basis.
    Then there is in patient intensive, steady, unavoidable. Only problem is finding someone to watch the kids and having them understand why I'm not at home.

Am at a cross road and want to whats best for everyone. Any advise? TY

2. Register to participate in live chat, PTSD discussion and more.
  3. anthony

anthony Renovation Aficionado Founder

Jade, this is a decision for you to be honest. I don't really see much difference in either, because to be honest, your thinking that an inpatient program is going to heal you in one foul swoop, and it won't. Let me explain. Whether you go to an hour session or have an hour session in hospital, if that sessions distresses you, which means it provoking your past memories to be dealt with, then little that is said after that fact will go in or be absorbed, because you have one thing that you are dealing with, thus the rest you merely dissociate anyway. The only thing inpatient would do is piss you off more being away from your kids.

There is no miracle quick solution to PTSD. There are ways in which to speed the process up, there are ways in which to prolong it and delay it. You as the sufferer know yourself best, you know your coping strategy. Use what you know. If you know you can push yourself further, then push yourself further. The further you push yourself, the faster you heal long term.

4. batgirl

batgirl I'm a VIP

Well personally I wouldn't want to do inpatient unless I was a non-compulsory patient and therefore could leave whenever I wanted, because I have a major problem with being confined. Those psych wards with the locked doors... I would go nuts.

But yeah like anthony said, it's your decision entirely. I prefer outpatient myself. I can still have my safe space at home after I've had a session or whatever.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

User search cloud:

1. inpatient vs. outpatient treatment for ptsd

Show Sidebar