1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Daily Dose

Get the last 24hrs of new topics delivered to your inbox.

Click Here to Subscribe

DID Insider as "evil" entity - grrrrrr

Discussion in 'Other Disorders' started by whiteraven, Sep 12, 2017.

1. whiteraven

whiteraven Well-Known Member

I am sooo mad. I went to a functional medicine doctor a few weeks ago in hopes that he would take a look at my medical history and maybe help me set some goals to create a health plan that might improve my overall health and impact my depression (even just a little). My therapist recommended him, because he does some work at the same facility, teaching mindfulness. I'd been there once before when I had some GI issues.

I wasn't happy with the visit - at all - for several reasons. But briefly, he mostly just skimmed over my medical history and focused primarily on the DID. I found out later my therapist (who I had asked to contact him) had told him I had DID - which was ok, but he forgot to tell me that when I asked him - and this doctor asked a ton of extremely personal questions about my insiders that not even any of my therapists have asked during a first session. He also pressed for names of the "troublesome" ones. I was very uncomfortable, but also intensely anxious during the visit (actually, prior to and during. I'd later find out my blood pressure was very high and I had a migraine while there). I answered the questions as best as I could, avoiding some and kind of giving only one word answers to the others.

He ended up telling me I had a "spiritual" problem. I blocked him out for most of the rest of the visit but left pretty upset.

Well, I found out today that he talked to my therapist again and told him that he suspected that at least one of my "insiders" was an evil entity and my therapist said he mentioned something about exorcism.

Ok, so I'm thinking here...WHAT???!!!???? This doctor - or should I say "doctor"? is an MD and a highly respected one in the international community.

I made it VERY clear during my visit that the two insiders I named were angry but that we had determined in therapy that they were protectors. That one no longer exhibited any destructive behavior and that the other, though she occasionally did, seemed to be coming around and calming down some. The latter is the one he seemed to be focused on.

Although this is not something new to me, I was so thrown off track by this that I still don't know what to think about it. I think it hit me so hard because I really had hoped that this doctor would be different from everybody else I've seen and he comes up with this crazy shit.

Diagnosed with DID in 1998 and I find out today I'm actually just possessed. *Laughing to keep from crying*

Sietz, Ronin, Flip flop and 3 others like this.
  2. Register to participate in live chat, PTSD discussion and more.
  3. Muted

Muted Well-Known Member Premium Member

I can relate to feeling like a doctor is an interregator. It can be extremely upsetting, I found a different one.

Flip flop, Fadeaway and whiteraven like this.
  4. EveHarrington

EveHarrington I'm a VIP Premium Member

Oh my.

This guy is a quack!

Although wouldn't it be nice if we could just have an exorcism, spit out a little pea soup, and be just fine?!? Lol.

Sietz, Ronin, DandylionWishes and 4 others like this.
  5. Ragdoll Circus

Ragdoll Circus I'm a VIP Premium Member

As someone with DID...WTF???

It makes me so mad that we actually pay for this type of "medical advice".

6. whiteraven

That's what I've been saying all day - WTF????? Is he serious?

I am so mad, because this is like the 9th or 10th doctor I've gone to recently who has either been a complete idiot or just triggering me so badly that I left needing about 3 days just to get over it. And yeah. This was expensive and out-of-pocket, so I'm furious about that.

7. Fadeaway

Fadeaway I'm a VIP Premium Member Donated

I do not have DID but WTF! I am so sorry. He sounds like a religious nut. I know a few that believe any mental illness is "demons" So if he has a patient that has a heart attack does he believe in praying instead of taking medical action? :rolleyes: Yeah, I would run as fast as you can the other way.

8. C j

C j Space Invader Premium Member Donated

He actually thinks exorcism would work!?!? Can't believe I'm reading this in this day and age :banghead::banghead::banghead::shifty:

9. whiteraven

Thank you @Fadeaway and @C j. Yeah, I'm still processing this. So hard to believe that a respected professional would believe and convey this these days.

I do want to be clear that I generally have a very open mind and I know that lots of folks have a wide variety of beliefs. But even in the context of functional/transformational medicine, you come from the place of the patient's belief system and don't impose your own. And I have a diagnosis of DID, which is a medically verifiable diagnosis.

Aaaaacccccckkkkkkk!

10. C j

C j Space Invader Premium Member Donated

Yeah, exactly, that's the problem, that he can do as he wants in his personal life but he should know DID can't be treated with such an approach.

11. Flip flop

Flip flop Member

Good grief!!! Doctor needs to find a nice park with a duck pond, jump in, and say, "Quack, quack, quack!"
    So sorry you were exposed to that crap.
    Wishing you the best.

12. whiteraven

So...I found an ethics violation on this MD from the AMA - for sexual misconduct.

I've been wondering just as a matter of interest if it is even ethical for a medical doctor to recommend exorcism (I still can't believe I'm writing that) for a patient with a qualified diagnosis of DID. Not even sure where I'd find out.

I feel like I'm living in the Twilight Zone.

13. whiteraven

From the AMA code of ethics, Appendix A, Section 3: " A physician should practice a method of healing founded on a scientific basis; and he should not voluntarily associate professionally with anyone who violates this principle."