1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Daily Dose

Get the last 24hrs of new topics delivered to your inbox.

Click Here to Subscribe

Insight Into Posttraumatic Stress Disorder

Discussion in 'News, Politics & Debates' started by anthony, Oct 26, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. anthony

anthony Renovation Aficionado Founder

New research into Posttraumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) is leading to a better understanding of its underlying neurobiology, risk factors and long-term implications. The findings are published in a recent issue of Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences and were revealed at a conference jointly sponsored by the New York Academy of Sciences and the Mount Sinai School of Medicine.

Researchers are studying a number of previously unexplored topics, including an examination of trauma within hours of the event, the thought processes that keep sufferers focused on the trauma and possibilities for prevention and therapy. New and promising research is engaged with mapping the neural circuitry involved in response to danger and with investigations of the complex genetics of individual risk.

Although the NIMH was created 60 years ago partly in response to an increased awareness of the psychological consequences of war, little PTSD research had been done before the Vietnam War. Since that time, Posttraumatic Stress Disorder has been found in veterans dating back to World War II. Although Posttraumatic Stress Disorder appears at a high rate among veterans, the condition is also seen in the civilian population: the events of 9/11 have increased the urgency of finding answers.

A study of the general population found that Posttraumatic Stress Disorder affects 5% of men and 10% of women. Studies also show a greater likelihood of PTSD development in the children of trauma survivors, including data on babies born to women who were pregnant and escaped from the World Trade Center on September 11 suggesting in utero and other developmental effects.

Posttraumatic Stress Disorder is a psychiatric illness that can occur after experiencing life-threatening or life-changing events and involves reliving the experience through flashbacks. The condition is frequently complicated by depression, substance abuse, memory problems and problems with physical health.

This study is published in a recent issue of Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences.

2. Register to participate in live chat, PTSD discussion and more.
  3. trisha

trisha New Member

ptsd

I found this to be very real, and helpful, as I continue my struggle, to regain my sanity. I was wondering if you have or know of any specific articles that specifically deals with PTSD associated with rape, sexual abuse and stalking.

Having a hard time understanding how one begins to recover.

Any insight?

Thanks, Trish.

4. anthony

anthony Renovation Aficionado Founder

Trish, nothing comes to mind. My honest thoughts on this, are to go too those who are experts in those fields. PTSD is one thing, which I know well, but rape, sexual abuse and stalking are another, and can only provide opinion, not real beneficial information that is going to help you. I would suggest searching out rape counsellors and the like for specific information and expert advice. The best you could find, is from someone who has been raped, healed and now avidly providing information to those in the same situation.

If you look at the bottom of the page on the wikipedia, for stalking, you will find lots of great resources to help on that topic.

The wikipedia also have a few good resources on [DLMURL="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sexual_abuse#External_links"]sexual abuse[/DLMURL].

Go figure though, no recommended resources on rape alone.

I will say though, healing PTSD and healing rape are two unique things, and by far not combined. Rape or the like gave you PTSD, but both must be learnt uniquely for healing. Dealing with trauma is pretty much the same across the board, however; there are specifics within each trauma that need specific expert advice, best from someone who has walked the path themselves, not just theoretical knowledge as such. For example, dealing with guilt from rape or shooting a person in combat uses the same logical method off coming to terms with both. Dealing with why both happened, then uses two completely different approaches, which do not come from the same methods, as the situations are very different.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2015
  5. wildcritter44

wildcritter44 Active Member

most cities or counties should have a shelter for vicitms of abuse. A lot times they have counsellors, etc on hand or available to help. Many are listed in phone books. Rape crisis lines, etc.

hope this may help in some small way.

wildcritter

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Show Sidebar