• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Insurance Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello

I found out my place where my counselor works doesn't accept my new insurance, and on top of thant the closest mental health provider that does accept that insurance in close to 80 miles away. I can try and get on my wife's insurance, but that will take time, and I have heard that it's not very good either. Any suggestions?

Find out if your center will accept your wife's insurance first. then you will need to see if and when you can get on your wife's coverage. Sometimes they will not allow you to change except during an open enrollment.

When my insurance changed, my therapist's office introduced a sliding scale so I was able to pay what my co-pay was. Can they do this?

Yeah I wouldn't be able to get on my wife's insurance for another couple months. I don't think they do sliding scales. I'll tell you New Hampshire isn't exactly known for it's mental health services. Turns out there were some other clinics that accept my new insurance, but they couldn't take me because I don't live in they're designated catchment area, which is state reglualted.

I did find one place that might be able to take me, but I probably wont know till at least monday.

I wish you the best news on Monday- I hope they can take you. Some insurance companies will pay a portion of out-of-network visits if you self-pay and then submit your bill/claim to them. Have you looked into this? Also, how about county or stat executives? They are supposed to serve the public- you might get help if you take your cause to them. Also, there are state agencies that might be able to help.

Some places make it more difficult to get help. Don't give up! It's too important and you are worth it!!!!!

Often, if there's not someone reasonably close in their network, they will let you go to someone outside the network and pay for it. Explain the situation to your T (who is, probably, used to dealing with insurance companies) and to the company. If there aren't any other options within a reasonable drive, there's a chance you can work something out.

That insurance plan has to be in the running for 'worst ever'! There are a lot of things besides mental health issues, where you might have trouble finding a local, in network, provider. Especially in a rural area. I suppose it saves them money if you just die and don't cost them anything. Although then they don't get a premium either.

They happen to be in network with a specialty surgeon that's operating on me later this month. And it's really half insurance half state. The company is specific to MA and NH, and there wouldn't be as many state restrictions if I lived in MA, I used to live there lol...

I was offered a new insurance plan with my Medicare, and it only covered talking to a mental health nurse. I really find that unacceptable. No therapy, no psychiatrist, what are they thinking. I declined.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back