• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Introduction Section - All These New Sufferers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Claire

MyPTSD Pro
This may sound silly but its been bothering me for some time. Does anyone else have trouble looking in the Introductions section? I find it so depressing and sad. All these new people with PTSD. I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy.

It is very hard to watch all the new stories rolling in. But we have all been there and we all need help. So I take it when I can handle it as it can be overwhelming. I know whether I am there or not others still show up to read and welcome. I think how you feel is very normal, and it is depressing.

No, I don't get sad. Why? Because I don't think about it in regards to "all these people with PTSD" because I already know their are millions worldwide. I look at it like, I know there are millions worldwide, and not many off them here getting help. The more that come here, the more it makes me feel better because it means more are helping themselves. I like the positive way off looking at it thanks vs. the negative way.

Agreeing with veiled that it can be overwhelming at times. I just listen to myself and find out if I'm up to answering or not. I actually do that quite a lot here. Sometimes all I do is read, other times I answer as well.

Lisa

Yeah I feel the same as Anthony. I am just thrilled with newcomers because they are seeking help! It's all positive in my books.

However, if I am overwhelmed from other things, you won't find me posting much, not even welcomes... just got to know your limits...

bec

I just think that they need the welcome, so I post back, even if it's just a "Hi"

I would hate to see someone post and no one said anything back. So I just try to do as many as I can everyday...I think it helps them to feel ok and safe.

I know that when I joined it felt great to have others greet me..

Wen

I agree, limits must be adhered. If you step over them beyond what you can push at any one time, you will only do more damage than good. It has taken me constant exposure in order to come here daily, read and respond, then when I find time to do more research, and whether or not then to break that down and post. It didn't happen overnight is the point. I pushed myself little by little, always going an inch further than I did before, until I reached a point where I no longer have anything to push, because I am now at the optimal area to perform.

If I sat here for 2 days straight, then i would get ill because I pushed myself. Likely though, if I did that to begin with, that means something is already wrong, because why in the hell would I sit at a computer for 2 days straight to begin with. Identification, pushing yourself in a healthy bounds... all part of the process.

As a new person, I have to say personally it was a positive for me to find this forum.

I've been suffering for 18 months, possibly more, and whilst I've had a therapist and I've read loads of information, I have felt incredibly alone and like no one understands what I'm experiencing.

It was a real boost to me to get so many responses & support & not 'airy-fairy' stuff, but genuine and I feel more hopeful.

I also agree regarding limits. I do not believe any one sufferer should take it upon themselves to welcome each and every new person, and feel guilt when they cannot. Evie used to take it upon herself to welcome everyone, and it made her quite ill in the end. My husband and I have assured her, if she is not welcoming everyone it absolutely does not mean she is selfish and does not care. There will always be other members around to welcome newcomers, no one is ever ignored, that is one of the lovely aspects of this forum.

That being said, Awakening, welcome to the forum! I'm pleased you have found it to be such a positive experience thus far. There is much help to be had here if you are willing to be open and receive it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back