• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Is anyone else panicking about the world news?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've never been one to watch the news, however I've been tuning in more often as I feel like som...
I stopped watching the news a few years ago as it was driving my depression, etc. I catch a bit of it now. News is never good, at least the news on major networks. That is the nature of news really
Bad news does not sell well, and the world has all ways been full of it.

Now I just choose to not waste my time, energy, and health on things I have NO control over.
I've never been one to watch the news, however I've been tuning in more often as I feel like som...

Stop watching and reading the news?

Absoutly agree! I stopped watching ANY news and now read all news I intake and I am 100% happy I did so. I get to control what I know and don't know and I get to dig for facts rather then believe all the hyped up BS news outlets. Yes, it is still a gamble of being hyped but not so much so. If I am anxious I don't even read it. I didn't even know a hurricane was on it's way here until my brother in another State texted me about it. Not saying to be out of touch that much but I am just saying it works for me. I am a thousand percent less anxious about news and overall my anxiety has dropped a ton.

Honestly, I experience fear over all the horrors on the news everyday. I spend countless hours researching other places to live in hopes of finding a place that might have significantly less crime, violence, craziness, etc.
News fast? Ha. Tried that. Know what the result was? Dangerous. When a friend casually says, "Quit watching the news, that's what we do," well, that casual dismissal does not take into account that my last great news fast prevented me from knowing what was going on behind my home until I saw flames coming over the ridge.
I am truly terrified about violent crime and political strife. I hope that the latest hurricane doesn't hit my father's house.
Oh well. Maybe I should try to take a vacation to a place that seems safer. But, yeah, in the end it's not as if anyone gets out of life alive....LOL. I sometimes wish I could just sell everything (except the dog, of course) and get the hell out....move to Central Asia fer crissakes......lol....I don't know. Wish I could just go! Peace, safety, and stability, wanting to be left alone unmolested......these are not outrageous things to desire, IMO. Yet, how often are those conditions really found? Gotta laugh at that one. The possibility of increased civil unrest - or any civil unrest at all - is something I wish would just go away. :arghh;

News fast? Ha. Tried that. Know what the result was? Dangerous. When a friend casually says, "Quit watching the news, that's what we do," well, that casual dismissal does not take into account that my last great news fast prevented me from knowing what was going on behind my home until I saw flames coming over the ridge.

Stop watching national news and watch just local. That's what I did at first and it helped a ton! National news is the sensationalist garbage anyway. Most of it not true riddled with a crap ton of opinion and nonescense that doesn't matter but is blown to massive porportions. It really is where most of the fear and anxiety is. The local news is just local facts and done, generally that I've seen anyway.

One could argue that there is value in situational awareness and understanding societal/economic/political trends.

It has been my experience, however, that even those who DO watch the News remain mostly unaware of the true state of affairs. Obviously, those who elect to not read/watch the News are likely to be even less aware.

Let me provide an example.

In the USA, Canada, Australia and many other countries, almost all public and private(ie corporate) pension funds are moderately to severely underfunded. Google "pension crisis" if you want to know the truth.

Example: California's state pension is over 900 BILLION USD underfunded. Virtually, all states are similarly situated.

If you have a pension, would you not want to know that the pension you've paid into and been promised, is in jeopardy?!

Many millions who DO watch the News have no idea about the pension crisis...I have known for 15 yrs. There has been a lot of time to adjust. They will, however, be blind-sided when the check(cheque) is cut or stops coming all together. I think it is better to know in advance.

Seeing the News is very stressful for me, but I'd rather know. To each their own. Be well.

I would prefer not to watch the news at all but time with the husband is scarce and he likes it. I told him this weekend that it's been very hard for me to watch hours of news and he's seen me go into panic mode over certain things so we're going to make some adjustments. Local news is better @lostforgottensoul, it's watered down nicely and @void I agree, I do feel like I need to know certain things. Thanks everybody.

I prefer to get my news via Family Guy and South Park. It is more neutral.

Maybe one day get news via the crown chakra as i connect with the higher omnipresences of the universe.... but i be happy also if a pidgeon delivered a tiny scroll. Sometimes my toilet deliver news to me that i am full of shit.

World news makes me sad when i cannot help. However, it also reminds me to appreciate what i have.

I'm fussy about where I get my news from. I don't want to be completely out of touch, but I also don't want to be completely overwhelmed.

On my favoured news channel, they spent twice as long telling us about what the surf would be like in the morning as they did telling us about the shenanigans on the Korean Peninsula. Keeps it in perspective.

UPDATE on my previous post.

So, in Kentucky, the state pension fund is so underfunded that it needs(and is demanding) an emergency injection of $5.4 BILLION USD in order to pay pensioners for the next 2 yrs. This money will not fix anything, it is just a bandaid to cover off the next 2 yrs. The alternative is to immediately cut everyone's pension cheque(check) by 25%....and that would be just the beginning.

Source:Dead Link Removed

I stay away from news as much as possible. In my opinion it's designed and created to keep you fearful and on edge as to keep you glued to the TV. If I do watch any news, I also balance it out by searching for good news stories to read. They are out there, you just have to dig a little for it :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back