• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Is It Normal To Freak Out At Good Things?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MesaRock

Confident
I'm had a super rough past year and in last two days have gotten a lot of good news. This is giving me panic attacks. Is this normal?

God, what is normal? ;)

I have the same problem to be honest, it is self - sabotage in my honest opinion. I frequently feel guilty for feeling even a slight sensation of happiness. I wait for something to go wrong when everything appears to be going right. I have a constant feeling of dread in my stomach right now although I have no real reason to expect anything to go wrong. I think this is all just anxiety and, in my case anyway, depression playing it's tricks and I catastrophise in response.

You are not alone in the way you feel. The past 6 weeks have been excruciatingly painful. I have pulled myself up by my boot straps and am in the process of making positive changes for my family.

And even with these positives I am still left with feelings of anxiety, depression, guilt, anger etc.

So, I'm right there with ya.

'Good' stress or 'bad' stress are physiologically both (or rather, 'one' / the same) stress, so the value we feel about it doesn't matter that much to our bodies.

It gets easier, just is a long road.

(And no, not a freak. I'm still stuck at learning to deal with 'good stress'. Not having a knack on it... but I've made a decision to let it be in my life and acknowledged as something helpful. ;) )

This all so reassuring. I don't know how to deal with it except sleep and reduce input. Maybe therapist has ideas. I wonder why mind can't distinguish. But I am GOING TO BE OPEN TO LOVE AND GOOD THINGS.

That is REALLY Good advice. I like boredom as indicator of processing being done.

I've been going through divorce this year and decided to move out of state where life is calmer and fewer memories and less stimuli and expense than NYC. Today I found out that I got approved on a house lease for my own beautiful home - I've never even lived in a house before! Or been approved on a lease without a co-signer! And my parents helped me out by buying me a used car today as a surprise. My relationship with my parents has always been difficult due to childhood history abd this is first time they've ever come through for me, especially in such a huge way. Plus my ex said he would pay my moving expenses, which was totally unexpected. It's a lot of wonderful things that for the past year I've been terrified about. I Think I'm in a state of shock. After so much huge loss this year - not going into that now - these are gifts I never even dreamed of.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back