1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Daily Dose

Get the last 24hrs of new topics delivered to your inbox.

Click Here to Subscribe

Is it possible to get ptsd again once you already have it?

Discussion in 'General' started by stp2012, Dec 7, 2017.

1. stp2012

stp2012 Well-Known Member Premium Member

After my accident about 6 weeks ago, I've suddenly started into the whole flashback, trigger mode all over again. I understand that this is again a new trauma, but I was diagnosed 5 and a half years ago.

I've done the work and pushed through deep crap. I have the grounding tools, charts, methods to help keep the past in the past. Triggers had mostly become stressors.

Now in just the last few days, I feel as though I have ptsd #2. Flashbacks one on top of the other.

I don't want to go back to journaling as it feels like starting the whole mess all over again.

Is it actually possible to get ptsd a second time when initial traumas are not fully dealt with?

void likes this.
  2. Register to participate in live chat, PTSD discussion and more.
  3. EveHarrington

EveHarrington I'm a VIP Premium Member

One you have ptsd, you have ptsd. It can go into remission, and It can flare up again as in your case.

Joan and joeylittle like this.
  4. shimmerz

shimmerz My silence spoke a thousand words you never heard Premium Member

I don't think PTSD actually leaves a person. And yes, an accident that causes stress/trauma can aggravate the symptoms again.

ladee and Joan like this.
  5. stp2012

So pretty much being re-exposed to a new trauma can sort of "throw you back" to what feels like day 1?

6. shimmerz

shimmerz My silence spoke a thousand words you never heard Premium Member

Yep. That's it exactly.

ladee and Joan like this.
  7. TexCat

TexCat Not a cat or a native Texan. Premium Member Donated

I had a lot of that throw back affect from the hurricane. It would find a similar theme (such as being trapped) and i would experience those flashes from the original trauma. Now 3 months after the hurricane I am getting what I would consider “hurricane ptsd” where I don’t handle basic rain and puddling very well. I can see the sky turn to night in a daytime rain shower, I can feel anxiety shoot up into panic when I have to drive through standing water on a roadway. I feel a need to keep checking the road in front of my house during basic rain showers. Even on a non rainy day I feel an over cautious feeling driving anywhere that had water over the roadways during the hurricane (bridges, bayous, the Freeway).

I actually feel kind of embarrassed by my hurricane issues, haven’t even mentioned them to my T.

ladee likes this.
  8. ShikibuZ

ShikibuZ Well-Known Member Premium Member

I agree with the above. Having gone through multiple traumas over the course of my adult life, the most recent one threw me back into a symptomatic hell that I'm still coping with: sleep disturbance, anxiety, prodigious startle responses etc etc. I think of the book What the Body Remembers.

((((stp))))

stp2012 and ladee like this.
  9. Ragdoll Circus

Ragdoll Circus I'm a VIP Premium Member

While all the symptoms can recur, you can’t go back to day 1. You’ve learned way too many coping strategies, realligned too many negative thinking styles, processed too many memories, and on and on. Can the symptoms come back as strong as before? Absolutely. But you’re way better placed to recover this time around.

10. anonymous

anonymous Forum Anonymity Premium Member

Agreeing with @Ragdoll Circus . I have experienced trauma that blew up my syptoms. But I wasn't at square one.
    It did take me a long while to get even close to where I had been before. But I also could not afford therapy at the time.
    If you aren' in therapy get started again. I feel that would have really helped me get back on track sooner.

mumstheword likes this.
  11. stp2012

Thank you all for your input. It helps a lot. My therapist has never said or agrees with me, it's just how it really feels.

I haven't had flashbacks like this for a long time. It just feels like going back in time. The hospital experience certainly did have too many stressors to count and maybe that's what has happened.

Thanks to everyone for your support.

Ragdoll Circus and ladee like this.
  12. TexCat

TexCat Not a cat or a native Texan. Premium Member Donated

Are your flashbacks from the new trauma or your original trauma? I am only asking because the hurricane brought on my original trauma flashbacks, but 3 months later (and that first week back to work, right after) it brought on flashes of water rising and fear.

ladee likes this.
  13. stp2012

So far only the new. Really hoping it doesn't cross over. Themes are obviously veey much the same, but no. Just the accident.

My T says I'm becoming more sensitized to it and so details/ physical and emotions are heightening. That's definitely true.

ladee and TexCat like this.
Show Sidebar