• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Is It Possible To Have Ptsd From Being Cheated On?

Status
Not open for further replies.
you most certainly can develope it after being cheated on.
No you can't.

You can be horribly traumatized by infidelity, you can be devastated, your life as you know it can be left in ruins - but you've got some other group of initials as your diagnosis, not PTSD.
most people wouldnt but some people have much more fragile emotional states than others
PTSD is nothing to do with fragility of emotional state. It's to do with the neurological damage caused by extreme terror/fear/shock, of the variety that occur when you experience or witness actual or threatened death, serious injury (physical), or sexual violence.

This doesn't mean you don't have a diagnosis. Go ahead, take a diagnosis. Take two or three. Depression, Anxiety, Acute Stress Disorder - take Munchausen's if you want it. But you don't have PTSD, and any doctor who tells you so must have been missing the day they did that chapter in psych 101.

In terms of "is it possible to have PTSD because of X, Y or Z", I don't know. I suppose anything is possible. I don't know if simply becoming obsessed with an event qualifies you as having PTSD. Being cheated on is traumatic, but if you have other disorders that may make it hard for you to process your emotions I could see how you may confuse your symptoms with PTSD. I think about my exes sometimes, years later, and I can still get frustrated. That isn't PTSD, it is normal. It took me more than three years to get over an ex.
See a therapist about it. Maybe talking to a therapist will help you get over your issues.

My sister has a Phd in psychology and I have a masters degree in it. Psychology has changed a lot over the years. Yes, to most elder people it is normal to believe that you can't get ptsd from being cheated on. But with the changes our brains have made over the years and the evolution of our emotional and mental state, I promise you it is possible.

you most certainly can develope it after being cheated on.

My sister has a Phd in psychology and I have a masters degree in it.
Then you won't mind showing the evidence to support your statement? Oh wait... you can't... that's right. It is your opinion as an apparent psychologist, not fact, being actual scientifically evidenced and supported by doctrine.

When doctrine says you can be diagnosed for PTSD from being cheated on alone, placing that beside war, rape, torture, childhood abuse, then maybe I will take your words as a little more than just trolling the community.

I assume these people are trolls and I love the fact that a lot of us got a huge laugh out of their comments.

Its great when someone tries to argue for a broader meaning for a term which is actually very carefully defined. Um.. no... you see BY DEFINITION... oh wait... :banghead: why am I bothering... :roflmao:

ya, Trolls.....but I admit, they do give us some comic relief!

On the flip side, after I get done laughing at how ridiculous the trolls sound, I continue to laugh because of how pathetic their arguments are!

OMG! Getting cheated on is just as bad as getting brutally raped as a child! OMG! Getting cheated on is just as bad as loosing your best friends right beside you in combat!

can being cheated on result in PTSD - no.

can being bullied result in PTSD - i think yes it can - depending on the circumstances - if you feel terrified and feared your life - then yes. and even though to an outsider, what happened when you were bullied (i.e. maybe you were cornered and had your schoolbag tipped out - to a child, that could be very threatening. more so if you grew up with abuse, as it would trigger unconscious fears of the same thing.

you say your past abuse doesn't affect you now - i disagree vehemently - i think the VERY reason you are struggling so much with being cheated on, and having the symptoms you are, is because the betrayal of the cheating (in the present) will at some level, be triggering the past abuse.

if you 'have' PTSD or not, isn't that important -= what IS important is that you seek help and work through all the issues and feelings you are struggling with in the NOW. maybe over time, the past abuse will come up as being related and you do release you have significant problems as a result of the abuse. or maybe, you wont.

either way - a label (whether or not it is PTSD or something else) doesn't change the fact what yoga re gong through is awful, and you need more support and professional help.

leave the argument of 'it is / isn't PTSD' and focus on getting the help you need.

cos, the 'funny' thing is - you don't actually 'need' to have PTSD in order to get real help ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back