• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Is It Possible We Think To Much?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grama-Herc

MyPTSD Pro
Maybe Anthony can shed some light on this one? Of course at this point, anyone who can help would be a blessing!

Sometimes I feel like we as people with PTSD tend to try and figure out every little nuiance of our disorder. Me thinks we think to much.

When I was in therapy I learned that my attacks could happen any time with absolutely no reason behind it. I learned to ride it out, let it happen, do what I needed to feel safe and realize that this was not going to kill me.

Is it possible that our panic and anxiety attacks just simply happen???? I know that mine sneak up on me out of the blue and after several years of therapy I learned to quit trying to understand why. Now, the attacks "seem" to be less in tense when they happen, but unfortunately; they are still happening. I hate my panic/anxiety disorder. I can actually get dehydrated from having an attack. I sweat profusely during my attacks. It is embarrassing when I am in public to have sweat dripping off my chin when in a check out line. But, screw em if they can't handle it. It's none of their business

So guys, do we think to much?????

OMG...do I ever! I've been told by a number of family members that I over-think or think too much about a subject. While others go on their merry way and forget about something, I sit and can't get the loop out of my brain. Man, I wish I had an off switch for my brain sometimes! I've often wondered if it wasn't just part of the whole PTSD crap to have things (especially negative things) just go round and round the mind and not give you much rest.

Lisa

Marlene

Sounds to me like we may be on to something. Hope there will be more feedback on this little kink in our brains. Lets hear it for PTSD

OK, I will make it to bed sometime this morning...

(again forgive he shift key as won't always press)

For me i have to disagree. I was told for so long my "problem" was i "over thought" or "over researched". I even bought into it. If that was the case then it was an action i was taking causing this. I could fix this if I just dumbed down enough. not so.

it took going over kill turning this inside out with my emotions. my past, why I react to certain things... I was walked through this and only going through this pain have I seen light. You do not over think, never in my eye at this point. You find a better understanding of yourself. I do see the idea as "I may over think" as a normal step as i went through it and so many said I over analyze. I did not find any relief until I reamed analyze.

Yes, it will cause more stress and symptoms but it just gets you closer to where you need (peace). if you try to stop thinking then you are in idle and not healing. sometimes idle is OK for a break, but no more. This is one time that the calm does not come before the storm.

also have to add after years of therapy and attacks you may be more ok and less fearful when they happen (whole point of panic attack therapy). fear of the fear is the fuel. If you are not as concerned they lessen a great deal. You say you learned to stop trying to understand why; that is a lot like most who get through as in saying they don't care as they know they will live and no longer fear it will kill them.

Trying to know why does not always stop the panic, not caring does. Understanding and exploring does help the nightmares, ibs, chronic pain, insomnia, palpitations... so on. it does help with a wide array of symptoms.

Learning, researching, understanding is not what I was talking about. I totally agree that coming to a better undertanding of what's happening to me and why is very important and it's not something I'm going to give up. Too important.

It's more along the lines of 'What did that person really mean when s/he said ______' and not being able to just let it go. Or having the negatives run amuck in my mind. Basically not the type of thinking I need or want in my life. Those are the type of things I over-think and want and need to get rid of.

Lisa

Lisa,

I do that too. When someone says something that can in any way be construed negatively, you bet I do! Instead of trying to stop the thinking, I try to be pragmatic about it. What was the person's tone, body language, rest of the conversation? Is it more likely that they meant it critically or non-critically? This helps me step back and see that the evidence often indicates that nothing harmful or negative was intended.

Over-thinking, over-analysing, etc etc are all common symptoms complete with PTSD herc, so yes, these are some of the very issues which you must battle, thus part of the learning to manage PTSD process. We heal trauma first, then learn how to manage PTSD itself, this being one of the issues.

I think too much

Thats why I have insomnia, thats why I freak out in my head alone. I can't turn it off unless I cuddle with someone. It is possible to think too much, but at least its better than not thinking at all :) Try taking a bath or watching a movie. It doesn't solve the problem but its a great way to distract.

As a Carer, I'll give my two cents on this. I believe that you do think too much BUT because this disorder takes over so much of your lives( physically mentally and emotionaly) why wouldn't you! As you progress in your healing journey I think that this will slow down. Overthinking is a dangerous thing at times. Do you have a trusted brain to pick when you think too much? Someone to slow you down and pull out what is important and what is not? It works if you'll let it or if you have someone who can do this. I hash things out with Bec all the time but the key to it for us as carers is to let you do the work. I just break it down for her. Some times I don't even realise we're doing this until afterwards when I see her posts or talk to her later.

Hahaha, sometimes I wonder how nic (cole) can even understand me. And she does exactly what she posted. If I wasn't able to ping stuff off of her, I'm sure I wouldn't get as much done nor be able to focus as much as I do now. It really does help to have someone just pull out the important stuff. Rather amazing how jumbled our brains can get sometimes.

bec

Marlene..

I am just like u...if someone said something to me..i will go every angle to see/search what they really mean..i cant just accept as it is or just like u say drop it out and let it go. i have a very complicated mind..lol..i hate this..it makes me hate being myself..but i learned that i think how i think its coz im too self concious and too afraid wat people might think of me...especially in a negative way..its like a vicious cycle...u remember more of bad things people do to u than the good things they do to u..i dont know..i wish im a lil gal again so i dont have to be like this..little kids are so carefree..i hate feeling trap in my own mind..=) but there's always chance for improvement/healing..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back