• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Is it self-harm to gorge on sweets?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sally sue

Confident
I feel like every time I post I start it by acknowledging that it's a stupid question...definitely unworthy ha argh!

Anyway - So, I was just wondering, do others think gorging on sweets until you feel sick, really sick, is self-harm? I believe it's definitely a self-soothing behavior, but one that goes really wrong :(. I went as far as kicking ALL sweets for 6 weeks, and I felt good, even lost some weight (I'm probably 10- 20 lbs over weight, not bad, but could be better with a bad knee and ankle).

Anyway, it starts with I eat something sweet, say when I'm stressed, and then it quickly gets out of control and I feel like I can't stop until I literally feel sick or that I'm going to be sick.

Does that make sense to anyone?

Sally Sue

IMHO any activity that causes harm to one's self is a form of self harm.

On a side note have you been tested for diabetes? I'm diabetic and have an issue with self control with all forms of sugar/carbohydrates. Some times I gorge on sweets even though I know i'm doing my body harm. I get a "high" from sugars, and I have been debating if I am addicted to them as a drug abuser is to drugs. I have a saying I've made up about it and repeat to myself when the urge hits to help for self control - "For diabetics, sugar should be classified as a drug".

@barbarian you're right, I'm definitely an addict, not diabetic, but my ADHD definitely seems involved
:(.

It's just like a drug as you said, and when I went off ALL sweets for 6 weeks my T thought I should stay off because I felt so much better, but it's hard to keep up. So many people I know, self deprecate if I don't eat sweets too...isn't that weird?!

And, I guess, I find it hard to resist for long when sweets are everywhere! Maybe I should just tell people I'm diabetic and then they will not push me?

OMgosh! It's really such a problem!

Yes, I think it is self-harm as eating disorders are considered self-harm and binging falls under the umbrella of disordered eating habits. I do the same thing, binge until it's painful. I used to purge, but that behavior has stopped, thank goodness. I'm trying to kick sweets to the curb right now. I was a bit derailed by the holiday and I can't seem to just stop at "a little bit" unfortunately.

I am a real comfort eater too. It really is a soothing behaviour. It's a difficult one because food is something that you have to deal with all the time, can't just quit it like smoking, drinking or drugs. And it can be healthy to treat yourself to something nice.

I am using food a lot for comfort at the moment. But one thing that has worked in the past is instead of buying a large amount of cheap (but yummy) crap, I buy something a bit more expensive or gourmet but in a smaller serving (which usually works out the same price as buying a lot of the cheap stuff). That way I really feel like it's a special treat, and I can enjoy it without actually binging. I don't know if I wrote that in a way that makes sense?

It is called "comfort food" for a reason. It is a coping method. If you eat until you are sick, of course that is harming yourself. If you eat more "than you think you should" meh, I'm less inclined to call it self harm instead of "coping method that isn't as perfect as you would like."

I go through periods of intense suicidality. In my opinion, if eating some candy helps me get through the night that isn't self harm that is a positive coping method. It all depends on perspective. :)

Also: many studies prove that being 10-20 lbs over weight increases your longevity and overall health. The BMI is a fraud. :)

do others think gorging on sweets until you feel sick, really sick, is self-harm?
I think so.
IMHO any activity that causes harm to one's self is a form of self harm.
I agree.

I've come to the conclusion I self harm by eating sweets (well, chocolate), drinking too much wine and skipping my meds. As soon as I become stressed or overwhelmed those three kick in.

I have been comfort eating for the past three years. I also gained so much weight from lack of exercise. I have been watching what I eat with an occasional relapse.

I have tons of Easter candy and I use it sparingly. I am trying to lose the weight. I just get so hungry.

I also drink a couple of glasses of wine now and then. But I do not drink to get drunk. It helps me relax but also adds to the weight problem.

Good thread. Disordered eating is a big problem for so many people and I think it is self harm to just let myself go.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back