1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Daily Dose

Get the last 24hrs of new topics delivered to your inbox.

Click Here to Subscribe

Is Medication Sufficient to Control PTSD?

Discussion in 'Medications & Substances' started by anthony, Aug 10, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. anthony

anthony Renovation Aficionado Founder

Well, I thought this would be beneficial to hit home what I state about peoples use of medication, and especially when sufferers accept taking more and more medications to attempt to dispel some of the side effects caused by another medication. From the Australian Government, Vietnam Veterans Counselling Service (VVCS):
    I thought this was particularly relevant to some who seem to think they can beat PTSD with medication, and believe more in the doctors and pharmaceutical companies than what tried and proven experience can achieve. Yes, it annoys me to see and hear when people agree more with what their doctor says, than their counsellor or therapist, because a doctors degree doesn't make them smarter than others, it generally makes them more ignorant to factual experience around them. This is why very few doctors appease me to begin with, because there is far too much theory being thrown upon sufferers of PTSD, and not enough experience and practice, which is where finding expert counsellors comes into play.

I want people to get better, not go round and round on the merry-go-round thinking that doctors and prescription medication is better for your recovery... because factually, its not. Medication has a very small, short term role in your recovery process. You can accept that, or you can dismiss it and complain constantly about the issues associated that your medication is now giving you, on top of what PTSD is already doing too you. Like the logo says, "medication is a bandaid, not a solution."

Prescription medication is often required during the initial stages of the worst PTSD has to offer, because it does take that edge of some of the symptoms whilst you get stuck into beating your trauma. Once you are at one with your trauma, and it is no longer trauma, instead just memories, you get rid of the medication, you take the withdrawals as what they are, and then within a couple of months you will start to feel a whole lot better within yourself, and without any medication.

At this point control techniques play key roles, identification of triggers, etc etc... but medication is not within the equation.

2. Register to participate in live chat, PTSD discussion and more.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Show Sidebar