1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is PTSD a Psychiatric Disorder??

Discussion in 'Discussion' started by mortiis31, Sep 27, 2007.

1. mortiis31

mortiis31 New Member

2. batgirl

batgirl New Member

I think it's a psychiatric disorder... it's listed in the DSM-IV (Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders). You could also say it's a neurobiological disorder, because it causes a chemical imbalance in the brain, and you can actually see changes in a person's brain on an MRI. My brain has some changes to it...

But I don't get it, what is your argument with your psychiatrist exactly?
  3. cactus_jack

cactus_jack VIP Member

LOL! So is transsexuality and homosexuality.
  4. batgirl

batgirl New Member

Homosexuality isn't listed in the DSM-IV; it was eliminated as a disorder when the publication came out in 1994. The DSM-III was the last version to mention homosexuality. The DSM-IV does still list transsexuality but it is now called "Gender Identity Disorder".
  5. rob4444

rob4444 New Member

hi morts...why dont you ask him if hes a psychiatrist,or just the product of psychiatry?...he sounds like he needs help from someone qualified in the field..obviously not him....sometimes they get so carried away with their bullshit that they start believing it..ive had several therapists etc. that were completely brain dead...they think because you have mental health issues you are automaticaly stupid...i have great fun playing with their minds...ive met a couple with an iq high enough to help...but not many!
  6. kers

kers VIP Member

I had some problems with terminology like this a few months back. I was very distressed by the idea that I might have "a mental illness." On the other hand, I have no problem accepting that I have suffered from clinical depression, which is no doubt a mental illness. Something about PTSD really bothered me.

I think, honestly, my frustration was in being "stuck" or "labelled" with a disorder based on something that happened to me. It pissed me off; it wasn't fair. I've since chilled on that point. There are things about the way I am that are no doubt a bit off the norm, things that are explained by the diagnosis of PTSD.

Here's the question: what if PTSD is a psychiatric disorder? Why is that important to you?
  7. cactus_jack

cactus_jack VIP Member

Ask him this-
    Can one force schitzophrenia on another? What about Bi-Polar Disorder? What about diabetes or epilepsy? Heart disease?
    Yet they are all treated.

Yet we all know that PTSD itself CAN be forced upon us by others, and if not treated can become permanant. So should PTSD be considered a psychiatric disorder or should the actions taken that cause it be instead considered criminal?

Example- If I sexually assault you and beat you up and from that you get PTSD, shouldn't the rape and SA be treated as a crime and you as a victim and thus treated accordingly instead of overlooking the crimes committed against you being ignored and you treated as a mental case thus ridiculed by the government and/or public?

All illnesses, even something minor like a broken leg, can bring on depression. So does diabetes and heart disease. Should we also include diabetes or heart disease as psychiatric disorders?
  8. Marlene

Marlene VIP Member Premium Member

Yes, it's listed as a psychiatric disorder. So is ADHD (I was diagnosed with this as a child). Both are things that are permanent fixtures in my life and have to be dealt with. The fact that one I was born with and one is caused by trauma really doesn't matter when it comes to learning to deal with them. What's important is that I do deal with them.

Labels and names are thrown around like candy at a kid's party sometimes. Honestly I wouldn't care if PTSD was called bippity-boppity-boop. It really comes down to admitting, at least to yourself, that this is in your life. Understanding what it means now and what it can/will mean in the future. Dealing with your traumas and getting your life back.

Anything that changes your life takes time to get used to and understand. Then it takes time to adapt and make the changes needed to adjust to what's different. And learning the skills necessary to live a productive life with this change also takes time.

I'm not sure why your doctor is being so pedantic about this whole thing. If you want to continue with him, take what you need and ignore the rest. If you want to change doctors, then it's your right to do it. Take care of yourself.

Lisa
  9. cactus_jack

cactus_jack VIP Member

Yes it may be listed, but is it really a psych disorder?
    If it's listed it's considered permanant. We know that it's not permanant if treated.
  10. becvan

becvan Queen of the Blunt!

It is permanent. PTSD is incurable. However, I think it should be listed as a brain injury not a psych disorder.

bec
  11. vst

vst New Member

My two cents on the subject...

For some reason it was very comforting to me to be diagnosed with a "label". My therapist told me PTSD would be with me forever, but I could learn to control the fear and anxiety. I have heard PTSD described as an anxiety disorder and possibly a disassociative disorder.

vst
  12. cactus_jack

cactus_jack VIP Member

You and I clearly disagree Bec. If properly treated in early stages I feel it can be stopped. Too many of us have NOT been treated. You and me Bec. We have been refused proper care for whatever reason. That does not by any means it IS permanant. Perhaps for you and I because of the lack of treatment, but not in general.
  13. veiled

veiled New Member

PTS is curable. You can get better. Once you have had it as long as many here have and were not treated it turns into PTSD. That it is the disorder untreated PTS turns into that you can treat but not cure.
  14. becvan

No it's the altered brain that makes me say it's incurable. When the PTSD forms it causes a severe chemical alteration between our two hemispheres. Once this happens.. it's incurable. However I do agree that if someone got proper care in the beginning stages, before this occurs, it could be prevented. Once the alteration happens though, nothing can stop it. Only learn how to manage it.

Our lack of care definitely hooped us, that is for sure!
  15. Anna5

Anna5 VIP Member

Here is something I learned we don't have a disorder, but have emotional difficulty. I dislike the labels given, we survived something or multiple traumas and get a diagnoses. It like it was our fault that we were abused, in reality it was not.
  16. anthony

anthony MyPTSD Admin Staff Member Premium Member

Yes, PTSD is a psychiatric disorder. Who is debating its not, you or your doctor?

17. lrs

lrs VIP Member

PTSD has an ICD-9 code of 309.81., in the U.S. I do not know if other countries use the same classification. Of course, PTSD is a psychiatric disorder.
    I once saw it described as a psychiatric injury. I think that was intended to be more descriptive, and was not intended to be a serious effort as reclassifying it as not being a psychiatric disorder. But it did seem to be a good description to me.
    And to the person who posed this question, I think I would find another psychiatrist. This one seems to be a little "ketched".
  18. rob4444

rob4444 New Member

there is no cure for ptsd...period!
  19. mortiis31

mortiis31 New Member

Cure?

Rob, I am not seeking a cure, I understand that I shall always be afflicted with this illness, but I wanted some pure HARD evidence that I could take to my psychiatrist to prove that it's a psychiatric disorder, so that they can help me!
    X
  20. becvan

Okay, switch docs now. He obviously does not have a) a proper education or b) he is an idiot. Either way you need to switch as any doctor worth their salt knows about the illnesses they deal with. Forget the proof and get a new doc.

bec
  21. anthony

anthony MyPTSD Admin Staff Member Premium Member

I think you would find it hard to take evidence to the person that is supposed to know this in the first place. Your doctor is likely one of the one's trying to change the way mental illness is diagnosed, meaning not likely a doctor that is helping the industry standardize, instead trying to do their own thing... which is plain and simply dangerous within said industry.
  22. John_R

John_R New Member

Hello,

I personally don't like the label of having a mental or psychological disorder. I find it offensive, and I often can become combative when someone talks to me like I'm a psychic patient. However, I'm not a Doctor, or qualified to determine it, but I certainly resent it.

Is PTSD curable? I suppose if a person is diagnosed early it can reduce, and lesson the symptoms to manageable degrees which can seem like it's cured, but from my research the effects of the trauma that can cause PTSD has a biological effect on the brain which I don't think heals naturally.

From what I can tell there are different kinds of PTSD one which I have is called Complex PTSD which happens to people who suffer long periods of trauma such as a POW, and there are those who suffer a specific one time traumatic event. Both are equally devastating, however, the effects on the brain long term I think causes PTSD to be incurable.

For myself, the trauma is the cause (disease), and the symptoms are the side effects. The issue for me is that even though I can intellectually understand, forgive and forget the trauma and move on with my life, the symptoms of that trauma have a haunting effect. I can go long periods of time living what I think is a relatively normal life without any major symptoms, and then in one weak insecure moment something triggers my traumatic experience, and then everything becomes symptomatic again.

This is only my personal experience, and I would like to think that PTSD is curable, but I haven't seen that. Everyone that I've ever met with PTSD have had periods of time of normality in their lives, but eventually some trigger at sometime sets their PTSD off again.

I'm at the point where I can see that PTSD can go into remission, but it never goes away.

Thanks,
    John
  23. coming_undone

coming_undone New Member

With the little I know, I would have to agree with you. My thoughts are that it is a brain injury because it is nothing you could be born with. A psych disorder on the other hand is different.
  24. cactus_jack

cactus_jack VIP Member

I see PTSD as curable because it's a product of the social environment one is in.
    Schitzophernia is not, it's an actual psychiatric disorder. I can't define it more than that because of my lack of experience with it.
    Aquired Brain Injury is a product of either chemical or medical trauma.
    Traumatic Brain Injury is a product of a physical trauma.
    My TBI has, in response to the inappropriate social reaction to it, created Post Trauma Stress Disorder.
    Sad part is that nearly all the doctors I have met say that drugs will cure it. No, they will make it worse, as they have done so in the past.
  25. lrs

lrs VIP Member

C.J., I agree with a lot of what you said. I, myself, believe PTSD is curable. I would be very surprised if a cure for true schizophrenia was ever found, but I can not state definitively that it will never happen.