• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Is PTSD a Psychiatric Disorder??

Status
Not open for further replies.
PTS is curable. You can get better. Once you have had it as long as many here have and were not treated it turns into PTSD. That it is the disorder untreated PTS turns into that you can treat but not cure.

No it's the altered brain that makes me say it's incurable. When the PTSD forms it causes a severe chemical alteration between our two hemispheres. Once this happens.. it's incurable. However I do agree that if someone got proper care in the beginning stages, before this occurs, it could be prevented. Once the alteration happens though, nothing can stop it. Only learn how to manage it.

Our lack of care definitely hooped us, that is for sure!

Here is something I learned we don't have a disorder, but have emotional difficulty. I dislike the labels given, we survived something or multiple traumas and get a diagnoses. It like it was our fault that we were abused, in reality it was not.

mortiis31 said:
Is PTSD a Psychiatric Disorder?

Would someone PLEASE clear this up???
Yes, PTSD is a psychiatric disorder. Who is debating its not, you or your doctor?

Most psychiatric illnesses cannot currently be cured, although recovery may occur. While some have short time courses and only minor symptoms, many are chronic conditions which can have a significant impact on a patients' quality of life and even life expectancy, and as such may be thought to require long-term or life-long treatment. Effectiveness of treatment for any given condition is also variable from individual to individual.

PTSD has an ICD-9 code of 309.81., in the U.S. I do not know if other countries use the same classification. Of course, PTSD is a psychiatric disorder.
I once saw it described as a psychiatric injury. I think that was intended to be more descriptive, and was not intended to be a serious effort as reclassifying it as not being a psychiatric disorder. But it did seem to be a good description to me.
And to the person who posed this question, I think I would find another psychiatrist. This one seems to be a little "ketched".

Cure?

there is no cure for ptsd...period!
Rob, I am not seeking a cure, I understand that I shall always be afflicted with this illness, but I wanted some pure HARD evidence that I could take to my psychiatrist to prove that it's a psychiatric disorder, so that they can help me!
X

Okay, switch docs now. He obviously does not have a) a proper education or b) he is an idiot. Either way you need to switch as any doctor worth their salt knows about the illnesses they deal with. Forget the proof and get a new doc.

bec

I think you would find it hard to take evidence to the person that is supposed to know this in the first place. Your doctor is likely one of the one's trying to change the way mental illness is diagnosed, meaning not likely a doctor that is helping the industry standardize, instead trying to do their own thing... which is plain and simply dangerous within said industry.

This is a question that has been argued over the months between my psychiatrist and myself - Is PTSD a Psychiatric Disorder?

Would someone PLEASE clear this up???

Hello,

I personally don't like the label of having a mental or psychological disorder. I find it offensive, and I often can become combative when someone talks to me like I'm a psychic patient. However, I'm not a Doctor, or qualified to determine it, but I certainly resent it.

Is PTSD curable? I suppose if a person is diagnosed early it can reduce, and lesson the symptoms to manageable degrees which can seem like it's cured, but from my research the effects of the trauma that can cause PTSD has a biological effect on the brain which I don't think heals naturally.

From what I can tell there are different kinds of PTSD one which I have is called Complex PTSD which happens to people who suffer long periods of trauma such as a POW, and there are those who suffer a specific one time traumatic event. Both are equally devastating, however, the effects on the brain long term I think causes PTSD to be incurable.

For myself, the trauma is the cause (disease), and the symptoms are the side effects. The issue for me is that even though I can intellectually understand, forgive and forget the trauma and move on with my life, the symptoms of that trauma have a haunting effect. I can go long periods of time living what I think is a relatively normal life without any major symptoms, and then in one weak insecure moment something triggers my traumatic experience, and then everything becomes symptomatic again.

This is only my personal experience, and I would like to think that PTSD is curable, but I haven't seen that. Everyone that I've ever met with PTSD have had periods of time of normality in their lives, but eventually some trigger at sometime sets their PTSD off again.

I'm at the point where I can see that PTSD can go into remission, but it never goes away.

Thanks,
John

It is permanent. PTSD is incurable. However, I think it should be listed as a brain injury not a psych disorder.

bec

With the little I know, I would have to agree with you. My thoughts are that it is a brain injury because it is nothing you could be born with. A psych disorder on the other hand is different.

I see PTSD as curable because it's a product of the social environment one is in.
Schitzophernia is not, it's an actual psychiatric disorder. I can't define it more than that because of my lack of experience with it.
Aquired Brain Injury is a product of either chemical or medical trauma.
Traumatic Brain Injury is a product of a physical trauma.
My TBI has, in response to the inappropriate social reaction to it, created Post Trauma Stress Disorder.
Sad part is that nearly all the doctors I have met say that drugs will cure it. No, they will make it worse, as they have done so in the past.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back