1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Daily Dose

Get the last 24hrs of new topics delivered to your inbox.

Click Here to Subscribe

Is PTSD Preventable?

Discussion in 'Polls' started by anthony, Jun 4, 2006.

Do you believe PTSD is preventable if forced into counselling after trauma?

1. Yes

21.1%
  2. No

78.9%
  1. anthony

anthony Renovation Aficionado Founder

Please answer the above poll with thought, and accuracy, and even state your reasons in a post upon this thread if you like too. The more information, the better the outcomes. This poll will merely continue to run, with no time limit, so effective capture is obtained from a broad user base.

This is a simple yes or no answer. I do not provide middle ground answers, because people would choose them and sit on the fence, so to speak.

This poll is designed to gain feedback on whether those with PTSD, spouses off and family members, believe whether or not the persons PTSD could have been prevented if immediate counselling, and ongoing counselling was sort after the traumatic event.

More often than not, a traumatic event occurs, and either the person refuses such counselling (which is an immediate red flag), or the counselling is limited because of resources, money, time, or the person thinks they have discussed it enough, so never return to future counselling. At the end of the day, all these things lead to a persons trauma developing into PTSD.

I believe my PTSD was preventable if the military forced me into compulsary counselling for merely being within an operational zone. Instead, all counselling was limited to time, human resources or just lack of association with the people to identify causes of trauma. I had a tick and flick survey which I basically just answered want I thought they wanted to hear, so I could get home to where I felt safe and secure (immediate red flag).

This isn't about blame, because at the end of the day, those with PTSD have it, and nothing can now change that, so there is no point dwelling over spilt milk as such, but future persons could be helped prior to developing PTSD from such common research placed within the right hands.

2. Register to participate in live chat, PTSD discussion and more.
  3. YoungAndAngry

YoungAndAngry Well-Known Member

I'm having the hardest time picking "yes" or "no"
    (hmmmm... maybe the PTSD/decision making skills are messing with me)
    regardless, I'm gonna explain why I can't give a definiate answer.

Number #1, I am so new to this whole PTSD thing that I don't know enough about it to decide if it could prevent it for someone else.

For me?... I think if I would have gotten counselling immediately after the accident I would be ALOT further along in the healing process. But I don't think the PTSD could be avoided.
    Unless they have some magic way to erase scars/memories/triggers...

4. Nam

Nam I'm a VIP

Nope, not preventable...especially in my case. It surfaced when it did and opened pandora's box. I had PTSD from the moment of the first memory. Could I have made it less severe...oh probably, I could have eaten better, slept better, taken care of myself better, etc...but I think you either have it or you don't and I think it starts from the moment of the trauma. Doesn't leave much room for someone to intervene.

5. anthony

Now there is a quite valuable point to this. Thanks Nam. PTSD is generally reflective fairly quickly from medical writings... though I guess many off us just never know until way down the track when all the symptoms are just running riot...

6. piglet

piglet Well-Known Member

I want to sit on the fence!! I think if people are allowed to say how they feel about their trauma and are listened to with empathy and understanding while they work through it, then ptsd may be preventable. However, I've also read some of the science stuff about certain parts of the brain being reduced in size in people with ptsd - many of these reports can't tell if the size reduction was there in the first place, thus making someone more susceptible to ptsd, or if trauma/ptsd caused these changes.

Something else that I think is that once the trauma has resulted in ptsd, these brain changes seem to be permanent, so I guess the idea is for people to be counselled properly at the time of, and following trauma, in order the reduce the possibility of the brain being affected so much. Then again, how many of us received proper counselling at the time, or even within weeks or months of the trauma. Not many, if any! But maybe there is hope for some, if the right approach is taken.

So - I would like to think that ptsd is preventable, but I think that is "ideal world" thinking for the majority of people who develop ptsd. As for forcing people into counselling - there is no point if they don't want to know. You can lead the horse to water........

7. anthony

Yep, and the question listed above is:

Do you believe PTSD is preventable if forced into counselling after trauma?

Take notice of the "forced into counselling" part!

8. piglet

piglet Well-Known Member

Ok. Ok! I voted no, although I'm still halfway sat on the fence here. It's not too comfortable either - and not a very strong fence.....

9. anthony

But atleast you made a decision. This is the exact reason why I don't include options to allow people to sit directly on the fence. Either one side or the other... never in the middle, because human natured facts dictate that people will more than often take the middle option, because its easier.

Smart ha!

10. YoungAndAngry

YoungAndAngry Well-Known Member

K, point well taken...
    I pick "no" it's not preventable.
    although peope may be better educated if forced into therapy after a big accident

11. anthony

Nice YA... clear decision, good stuff. Hope you enjoyed your night out too.

12. permban0008

permban0008 Policy Enforcement Banned

No! Don't think PTSD is preventable if 'forced' into counselling. A lot of the effectiveness of any treatment is based on the willingness of the person being treated to participate in the process. It may however, lesson the severity of the inital impact and the severity of long term symptoms. Counselling has its merits in that it lets a person 'debrief' in a safe environment but a person has to be open and receptive to this help.

13. wildfirewildone

wildfirewildone Well-Known Member

For me...the symptoms were running riot for over 10 years before I ever got a proper diagnosis of PTSD....what I've learned is that it's a very sneaky illness and the Mind can block out the Trauma from childhood even for60 years!!! But the chemical systems are running on "freak-out" BOO-HISS!!!!!

User search cloud:

1. is ptsd preventable

2. is ptsd preventable?

Show Sidebar