1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is St. John's Wort a Viable Treatment for Depression?

Discussion in 'PTSD Polls' started by Rapunzel, Apr 7, 2007.

?

Is St. John's Wort Effective for Treating Depression?

1. I take St. John's Wort and it's helped me a lot

9.8%
  2. I've never tried it so I don't know

51.2%
  3. I took it and it didn't help

34.1%
  4. It's better than other medications in my opinion

7.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Rapunzel

Rapunzel New Member

I have been advised to take St. John's Wort and I've read good things about it. I'd be interested to know how many of you have tried it, and whether it has fewer side-effects than medications, whether it's more or less effective, and so on.
  2. batgirl

batgirl New Member

I know I've heard many people say it's helpful for mild depression, but if you're depression is worse than that, I'm not sure. I know I took it a while back and it didn't help me. If you're going to try it, one caution. Make sure you're not on any other medication, for PTSD or anything else. St. John's Wort tends to flush toxins out of your system, which is why many people feel better on it. However, that means it also flushes out other medications, which can interfere with other treatments you're having.

Good poll!
  3. anthony

anthony MyPTSD Admin Staff Member Premium Member

I thought it was a waste of time.... did nothing for me at the level of depression set from my PTSD. I say that, because depression that comes with PTSD is not what shrinks seem to so freely label as "major depressive disorder" but instead it is a chemical depression as a symptom of PTSD itself. PTSD feeds from stress, negative emotion, etc... fix those core issues, no more depression because the chemical intolerance is no longer constantly present.
  4. cactus_jack

cactus_jack VIP Member

I feel that St. John's Wort is good stuff, and can be controlled/reduced/increased far easier than drugs. If you try it and it does nothing, you have to ask what you want it to do. Me, it did alright for a while but I ended up decreasing the amount taken.

Right now my ference is Standard Process, Inc. nutrients. They literally work wonders for me.
  5. Sapper

Sapper New Member

I don't have PTSD, but I took St. John's Wort for "the blues" a while back, and I didn't notice any change. Exercise helped me much more.
  6. anthony

anthony MyPTSD Admin Staff Member Premium Member

I agree sapper, it did nothing for me either, but exercise fixed the problem near ASAP.
  7. Auburngirl

Auburngirl New Member

I've taken it in the past and found it helped for minor depression and irritability/anxiety. I see it as just another tool to use in conjunction with walks to the beach, plenty of sleep and fresh vegetables.
  8. nic

nic New Member

As batgirl said, be careful with medications. DO NOT take it if you are on birth control pills.
  9. indigo~in~0z

indigo~in~0z New Member

i agree with batgirl and some others....

mainly only for mild/everyday blues..

try it for anything heavier & it can do anything from absolutely bugger all to have extreme side-effects...

never did anything for me... i think i might have gotten more edgy/ansy??? who knows.. hard to judge given what im like tho..
  10. cypher

cypher New Member

I never tried it and never looked into it all that much.
  11. jetno

jetno New Member

st.johns wort a suitable medication?

I have been advised to try st johns wort recently. Have been in a high stress situation for about 2 months now, resulting in various triggers being activated and old symptoms re-surfacing. Was told it would help the seretonin level, enabling me to deal with the internal pressure and depression. Not cure the depression but assist me to deal with it. Remains to be seen how effective it is.
  12. cragger65

cragger65 New Member

I tried it for a while, but it didn't seem to do anything for me. In all fairness, I felt about the same way about the anti-depressants.
  13. trial'n'error

trial'n'error New Member

I took it for a while but it didn't seem to do anything. Same for SSRIs, which did actually do something, namely side effects. In all fairness, though, I was dx'd with major depression at age 21 and I think I was misdiagnosed. I'm fairly certain that all my symptoms at the time of my depression dx (including suicidal behavior) stemmed from severe anxiety disorders. I don't think St John's wort helps with anxiety at all.
  14. midi

midi New Member

St. John's wort is not something that can be taken long term. It may work for mild pms issues like mild anxiety or irritability - but that phase in the menstrual cycle is a few days, not long term. Always talk to your doc before you try various over the counter supplements. Be aware of side effects and drug interactions too.
  15. jps

jps New Member

I voted that it's better than other medications, however, I've never tried it, either. I have too many 'drug' allergies and have had so many horrible reactions to them that I stopped taking any about 20 years ago.
    Recently, for my ptsd, my doctor prescribed an antidepressant. Which casued my throat to close, made me gag and gasp and choke... I quit.. no more...
    But I have used homeopathic remedies with huge success. St John's Wort in found listed under Hypericum in the materia medica. I won't go into any details, but maybe its worth looking into if alternatives are an option of interest?