1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Daily Dose

Get the last 24hrs of new topics delivered to your inbox.

Click Here to Subscribe

Is There Such a Thing as Healthy Self-medication?

Discussion in 'Social' started by fatherof3, Aug 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fatherof3

fatherof3 New Member

I know that self-medicating can sound negative at least to me? Is it possible? Or is that just an excuse to medicate? I don't know?:think:

2. Register to participate in live chat, PTSD discussion and more.
  3. Kathy

Kathy I'm a VIP

I believe it depends largely on what you are using to self-medicate, and whether you use it in moderation, or use it to excess.

nie likes this.
  4. She Cat

She Cat I'm a VIP Premium Member

Fatherof3,

In my opinion....No. Self medicating, is self medicating. It all comes down to the same thing. Escaping, drowning out the feelings, emotions, & thoughts. Covering up what is trying to come out. It doesn't matter if it's with Illegal drugs, prescription, or booze...If they are abused it's self medication.

JMO

Wendy

5. Claire

Claire Well-Known Member

Hello, I think there is. Its working out a healthy lifestyle which includes healthy eating and regular physical exercise. So, a fairly strict, healthy routine is my form of self medication now. It gives me the best chance to have a healthy life and remain sane while working on the mental/emotional problems.

nie likes this.
  6. Kathy

Kathy I'm a VIP

I agree Claire. Perhaps I should clarify my first answer, it was rather rushed and brief. I include in self-medication not only drugs and alcohol, but anything a person may use to relieve stress or make themselves feel better in some way. So, eating, sex, watching television, exercise, playing video games and so on... those can all be forms of self-medication in my opinion. Used in moderation none of those are wrong. For example, Evie is not on any anxiety medication. When she becomes anxious, she will often spend an hour playing Nintendo, which calms her. Were she to play all day long, that would be a problem, however I don't see the harm in one hour. People cannot be dealing with their emotional issues head on 24/7, everyone requires some break or outlet.

7. She Cat

She Cat I'm a VIP Premium Member

I too agree with the healthy stuff as self medicating.....But as far as the rest no.....Just to clarify.

Wendy

8. 2quilt

2quilt I'm a VIP

self medicating

Yes, I agree with both of your answers. I initially thought that self medicating was a bad idea because I would never do that by myself, without a professional supervising me, because I can't trust myself because I am weak with PTSD and depression. I see now that you both are correct and my assumption was too narrow of a view.

9. anthony

anthony Renovation Aficionado Founder

Yep, use, abuse and dependence. To be perfectly honest, people have asked for my opinion on smoking pot. Now lets face it, its a drug and illegal in most parts of the world. The medical arena scientifically show that in small amounts the drug provides immense relief to those who suffer stress / anxiety disorders and some other issues. Again, its like cigarettes. Apparently a study found that one (1) cigarette per day is actually healthy for you due to the substances within it, the body actually uses small amounts of those for good purposes. The moment you become addicted to them though, then you abuse / depend upon them, which defeats the purpose. Same with alcohol, one drink a day is actually found to be healthy for the body, with two days fee per week, though people abuse that feeling they get from it / become addicted to the substance and the feeling.

The secret is simply Use a substance, DO NOT Abuse it or allow yourself to become Dependent upon it.

If you have an addictive personality, meaning you know you become easily addicted to things, DON'T use them in the first place.