• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Is this really ptsd?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dolphin Lady

Learning
I have had EMDR recently which I thought had reduced my PTSD , indeed my EMDR therapist said that I no longer had PTSD. My scores were only just into the normal range when I was discharged after 7 sessions. I have subsequently had a massive meltdown at work which has resulted in me being diagnosed with Depression and PTSD again and I am having to take time off from work and seek therapy. What I want to know is if you can have PTSD with feelings and emotions which are devastating rather than just traumatic memories?My Memories are much less upsetting after EMDR.
I wonder what your thoughts are regarding this?

I do have memories but during this meltdown at work, I had an image in my mind and remembered the feelings and emotions associated with the trauma, it was these "feelings" that caused the intense fear, anxiety, sadness and sudden meltdown.

I agree.. It's true and unfair and really annoying that PTSD.. Will be around forever.. In each diagnosed person.. I think the symptoms can change... The fear can lesson but overall you are going to have it the rest of ur life... Sorry..... It shit I know....

Whoever told you that was misinformed. PTSD is life long and as of now no cure...... It can be treated so that symptoms are reduced, but it will always bite you in the ass again.

I had been told that it can be fully treated with EMDR? is this not the case?

Treated? Yes.
Cured? No.

I use the example of diabetes an awful lot to explain the difference. With proper treatment a person with diabetes can be asymptomatic, but they'll still have diabetes. Whether it's treated with diet & exercise alone, or insulin. But if they stop monitoring their diet, or something changes creating increased need for insulin, or sometimes just because it's Tuesday, a diabetics symptoms will return & they're going to have to change things -at least for a little while- to meet those needs.

With PTSD the brain/body tends to react to stress much the same way a diabetic reacts to sugar... With increased symptoms. New trauma can also bring about a resurgence of symptoms. And sometimes, just because it's Tuesday, there will be a symptom spike.

Some more on conceptualizing stress >>> The PTSD Cup Explanation

I wonder why EMDR is said to be the best tretament for PTSD? I certainly feel it has helped to process some very traumatic memories but having recently experieced a massive trigger and flash back, I dont believe it has "cured" me which is what I was led to believe?

Thank you Friday for the PTSD CUP information. I have read this, it makes a lot of sense. Maybe I have been putting too much energy into believing I was cured after EMDR? But this is what I was lead to believe, no one told me that I might stil need some treatment or that I would still get flashbacks.... That is why I feel so low at the moment, because I belived that I was now ok...

Stats show EMDR has 85% effectiveness in the treatment of ptsd. It's
success comes from helping you process the memories of the events and in some people can eliminate most of symptoms of ptsd. In others (like me) it gets the memories under control so that therapy works more efficiently. It really depends on the depth of trauma.

But @She Cat is correct when she says it doesn't cure ptsd. It helps you manage the symptoms and lessens the affect so you can feel better, but the PTSD damage will always be there.

Thanks for making this clearer. I think I should have been told this when I finished my sessions?
Problem I have at the moment is that I work in the same area that caused my trauma and PTSD in the first place. But I love my work! I am now wondering if I can ever go back to working in this area again after massive flashback last week?
Does anyone have any thoughts about this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back