• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Is This What Dissociation Feels Like In The Body?

Status
Not open for further replies.

WillowMarie

Confident
I know I dissociate and have been doing it for most of my life. I have been trying to feel my body and what my emotions feel like more. What I have noticed is that I will feel this intense emotion build fast, felt panicked and then all of a sudden there is calm. Since I have never tried to pay attention to what my body feels like, I am wondering if this is what it feels like to dissociate when you are paying attention to the body and not just ignoring everything. I did notice I felt very hazy/foggy today after this happened when it happened. So I was pretty sure it may have just been that I was more aware of the dissociation. Has anyone noticed this or experienced this? Is this dissociation or what normal feelings do when you let them come?

I think its quite possible you were dissociating when you went calm suddenly WillowMarie. It can do that. And the building anxiety may be what instigated it happening. I find if I have a calmness in response to dealing with anxiety well then it usually dissolves more slowly. A wave rather than a switch if that makes sense. When I feel a switch has been flipped then it is usually dissociative in some way.

Thank you. It just feels so different when I try to pay attention to what is happening than when I just ignore the process, the feelings and what happens. :whistling:

My therapist said she was super impressed with my insight about this when I told her this week at my apt. She had asked a few weeks ago what it feels like to dissociate and all I could tell her was my mind goes blank, everything feels fuzzy/unreal, and the feelings stop. But what i didn't know was that I was experiencing this calm suddenly starting about a month ago or more when I was trying to let myself feel the emotions and my body. I thought at first I was doing good with experiencing emotion and that maybe that is what it normally felt like, these surges and they would just stop. But then it clicked in my mind when I was feeling cloudy afterwards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back