• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Issues At Work

Status
Not open for further replies.

White0nWhite

Learning
I've been very busy the past few weeks. I managed to get full time at my job (I hope I can make it) and had to get a loan for a car (used little Honda) Sorry for not being around. I hope everyone is faring out okay.

At work I have one supervisor who seems to disrespect me, a lot.
At first he seemed pretty cool. Because he told me how he never had a dad and works with abused children. And I shed a bit of light on my history about my mom. And told him I was glad he was doing that for those children. It will help them a lot.
I work overnight at a home improvement store. And there's some nights I just need my medication (diazepam) and I'd rather not drive any of the machines when I take it. Because; to put it loosely, makes me feel 'drunk'. But it calms me down so I CAN work.
Anyway, he was telling me to work with this machine, and I told him I shouldn't be on it because "I had to take my meds tonight" and he shot back at me. "Did you tell them you were on -that- kind of medication when they hired you!?" which I found extremely offensive. Then during another situation he noticed me struggling to stand back up after kneeling down (I have arthritis in my knees, they're deformed too) and he snapped with a comment "Did they know about your knees when they hired you!?" which really.. hurt.. :/ because man.. I was born that way. People picked on me for having my knees the way they are.
He recently has been hounding me and bugging me, playing favorites with the guys and seemingly treating me different because I'm a "girl". And, again, as someone who had some gender identification issues growing up.

He's plucking my last nerve.

The thing is I don't feel myself getting sad, or wanting to cry. I just feel myself getting angrier and angrier. Defensive. I really don't want to lose my cool and lose this job (he can't fire me any way)

But should I report him if I get a witness to his nastiness to me? More so if it's about the medication? Thanks.

If it were ME........I would try and ignore him completely. I would cut my med dose in half so that it just took the edge off of the anxiety, and not make me fuzzy. That's what I would do...I would also call him every name I could think of under my breath......

You on the other hand need to do what's right for you. If going to higher ups would do it, then go for it. As far as your knees.....If it's listed on your application then it might be grounds for some kind of harassment.

Sometimes people in authority are just plan asses, and need to prove themselves as superior. Just perfect.....Yup first perfect A**Hole I have met in a long time(is what I would be thinking)

Hope things ease up some for you.....

I am curious too if they knew you were on those types of meds when they hired you or were you placed on them after the fact? If it is your job to drive those machines, and you obviously cannot on those as you are impaired, I don't think he was all that out of line even if he came off rude. If you listed you took those meds with them knowingly hiring you for a position you would have to use machinery that was a very dense move on their part and should place you doing something else. If you applied for a job and that was part of the job description and you withheld you took medications that impair your abilities to safely do your job then you were deceptive. It is not up to them to create a job for you because you have to take these meds, they had a job that needs to be done and done safely.

At the chemical plants you cannot work at all on any of those meds that impair or any painkillers if injured. While this may hurt your pocket book this is for safety of not only yourself but others.

As for your knees, this is not kids world anymore. No one is making fun of you and when you go to work at a manual labor job you will have to check those feelings at the door. Stocking positions are pretty clear that you must be able to continuously lift 50lbs or so. If you have trouble doing it that again is not their problem and your boss will be annoyed as there is a job that needs to be done. He is there to make sure you get it done. If his workers have a poor job performance it is him who catches the shit, and when he catches the shit I can promise he is going to fling right to where he thinks the source of the problem is.

Never ever make the mistake that a boss is your friend. Personal and professional lives should be completely separate.

Sorry if this sounds harsh but it is the truth of the matter. I don't work because I cannot, but I certainly don't expect to be paid for a job I cannot perform.

Your boss hurt your feelings, the next one will too.

a. I don't even have a licence (nor is everyone required to drive the machines when hired.) to drive those machines. He wanted me to do something I was not even allowed to do unless watched/supervised, I probably should have stated that earlier. Also; someone else on my shift has to take the same medication and he doesn't bother her about it.

b. There's another bad-legged person on my shift, who's in worse condition, leg wise, then I am. And there's someone else who is in a wheel chair. Lifting things is not the problem, it's the act of getting back up after kneeling.

c. While, yeah. I may not me mentally capable of handling a job outside of working where I'm around a small handful of people. I'm too bloody stubborn to ever go on disability for my ptsd. It's also not even offered in my state.. So.. it's either work or not eat and lose my car and not have a roof over my head.

Trying not to sound harsh, too, but I felt the need to state my views on why I worried/though he was singling me out. My manager doesn't give me crap for my weaknesses, however he (not my boss/manager, he's a supervisor) did.

I'm also used to people giving me bull in the work place. Hence why I'm working over-nights, with a small group of people. And it's kind of funny, in a sad way, that while people continue to hurt my feelings. It's no longer sadness or the crying I used to feel rising up- where I needed to run away with my tail between my legs and cry in solitude. It's this relentless hate and anger.

Star,

Try and calm down.....I do understand your plight. I too had to work during some of the toughest times with my PTSD, so yes I do understand your need to work.

I also hear you on the disability issue. I have PTSD, Fibromyalgia, 3 bulging dsc in my lower back, mild Emphysema, mild Kidney failure....I am sure that I could get disability too, but I prefer to work, keep my sanity, and have a sense of accomplishment, and not give in to everything. This is MY way of dealing. It may not be for everyone else, but I do hear you...

I give you credit for doing this, as I know how hard it is......

Yes, it does help a lot more when you give details as that is all we can go on. What you type. If you notice you wrote a completely different story and scenario the second round. Maybe he just does not like you. Not everyone likes each other or has to and maybe he has his own issues he has to deal with. But isn't that the joys of being the low man on the totem pole? You catch hell if they are just pecker heads. Many bosses are. If they expect you to drive a machine that a license is required for and they knowingly hired you without one then you have grounds to complain higher up for a supervisor harassing you to do something that sounds illegal. As for him being mean, I think you are SOL on that part. Keep dates of when the incidents and log actual interaction so you don't get tripped up or fuzzy recalling as if you are taking the meds that can easily be said to effect your memory if your supervisor chooses to say so.

The fact you have driven in the past won't leave you with clean hands I must warn you. Did this supervisor who has had you drive these in the past made aware you were unlicensed? These are all things you must take into account.

Sorry your boss is mean... I think there is a big farm somewhere where dick heads are harvested and then shipped nation wide, much like produce :) And you can come off harsh all you want, does not bug me, if I am not in the mood for harsh I don't get on the forum and what you typed was hardly harsh. We do not know each other, just blank faces bouncing thoughts and ideas off a computer screen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back