• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Jerky Body Movements

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone, I am really scared about these new jerky movements. Does anyone else have ptsd and jerky movements? Like my leg will kick out or arm. It's freaking me out. I am already trying to hang on to reality and my sanity and now this has started and is really scaring me. I have suffered a lot of trauma and emotional abuse and then about 4 1/2 years ago had a mini-stroke or possibly a panic attack that left me paralyzed and unable to speak for about 25 minutes and then it went away. They did every test known to man and couldn't find anything wrong with me. I knew I was under an extreme amount of stress and was suffering mental abuse but I was so scared because no one could tell me what it (the mini stroke) was from. I remember that morning waking up and feeling like I was in a dream, almost like watching things in a movie, eerie feeling and then within like 30 minutes I felt this panic and told my husband to call 911 and he looked at me like I was crazy and I said "Just do it!" I sat down and I started to feel weak and then after a couple minutes started slurring my speech and my left arm and leg wouldn't move AT ALL. Frightening and my two young children sat there watching me and all I could think was how am I going to take care of them? I remember saying in my head "Jesus! help me please help me!" After this incident I have become constantly fearful that this will happen again and now think I have all these horrible afflictions. The jerky thing is new (past 6 months) and now has me completely in a panic. Has anyone else experienced this? Any hope?

Yes. I have it . For a year and two months. It came with the PTSD onset.
I cannot say right now what will be with that , I just hope it will get better.

Hi looking for hope,

I also get it, it usually happens when I am overley tired and rundown. It has been happening off and on for the last two years. The first time it happened to me I was also really scared but for me it tends to go away if I get enough rest.

Hope this helps you somehow.

Thank you for your quick replies. :) It really helps to know that other people have experienced this. Complicated: I have also noticed that when I am more tired it will show up. I tend to get overly exhausted pretty quick most days, I'm not sure if this is from ptsd or something else. Thanks again. :)

I also have to be very careful about getting overly tired because my body is so run down, in my case it is from the ptsd and all the flashbacks, lack of sleep and food. I find it really challenging to try to get enough rest, sleep and food on a daily basis but I keep practising and trying to maintain a daily balance.

Good luck in dealing with all of this and welcome to the forum!

I am not a medical doctor, but re these jerky involuntary body movements: Get yourself checked for dystonia by a competent neurologist right away.

That sounds realIy frightening. I agree with Christy about mentioning this to a doctor you trust, and also... do you think there's any chance you might be dehydrated? I used to get really lightheaded, fall over, and temporarily lose sight, while my hands and legs jerked uncontrollably. It was very scary at the time. The doctor I was seeing at the time suggested that my electrolytes might be off balance, and suggested drinking Gatorade (G2 preferably). It sounds like a product placement, but I stopped falling over.
"You can make an inexpensive rehydration drink at home. But do not give this homemade drink to children younger than 12. Measure all ingredients precisely. Small variations can make the drink less effective or even harmful. Mix the following:
  • 1 quart (950 mL) water
  • ½ teaspoon (2.5 g) baking soda
  • ½ teaspoon (2.5 g) table salt
  • ¼ teaspoon (1.25 g) salt substitute (potassium-based), such as Lite Salt or Morton Salt Substitute
  • 2 tablespoons (30 g) sugar" -- WebMD
I have also noticed that I often fall into these mental states where my body is so tense that it feels like is is moving beyond my control. And then when I am really on edge, my eyes start to twitch, and I have involuntary muscle twinges. I usually take this experience as my body's warning to me to slow down now. Even if I don't consciously understand why.
I don't know if any of this is useful information for you or not, but I hope that you are finding the strength you need to deal with this scary problem, whatever it really is. Peace.

Yes I know it is very scary to me. I have a doctor appointment on Friday, I think part of the reason I havent seen one yet is because I am afraid of what they might say it is. I also have a psychologist appointment in a couple weeks as well. I am trying to tell myself it's better to know and then go from there. Thank you for the advice, I am definitely going to try it! :)

Heya lookingforhope,
Hope the doctor's appt. and psych. appt. are very helpful and that you can get things figured out. Take care!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back