Peer support subsequent to trauma contributes to full recovery

Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) -- including complex trauma (cPTSD) -- is debilitating, breaking down the body through anxiety and stress, and it poses a significant suicide risk in sufferers. MyPTSD seeks to help and inform those who are directly or indirectly affected by these conditions through peer-to-peer support and educational resources.

  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice

The Daily Dose

Get the last 24hrs of new topics delivered to your inbox.

Click Here to Subscribe

Job-Related PTSD: How To Get Employer To Pay For Treatment?

Discussion in 'Employment & Education' started by sp607, Jun 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sp607

    sp607 New Member

    I'm a carer (wife) of a police officer that was just diagnosed with PTSD from a psychologist.

    We were told from my husband's employer that they will only pay 100% of the first 3 visits with an approved psychologist (and by the way who can benefit from only 3 visits with a psychologist when you have PTSD?!!!). After that, we owe 30% for a certain amount of visits, then 40% then 50% for visits 30 and on. We CAN NOT afford this. (Those of you who are police officers know that the pay is crap!!! Let alone, my husband's agency is one of the lowest paid agencies in the country!!!:mad:)

    So I'm looking for some solutions to this. Do you think it is a good possibility we can get the employer to pay for treatments (100%) if we can prove his PTSD is in fact caused from his work (which the pyshcologist said herself it in fact is)?

    Thanks for your help everyone, I REALLY appreciate your comments and support! :Hug_emoticon:
  2. Register to participate in live chat, PTSD discussion and more.
  3. firehouse9south

    firehouse9south Well-Known Member


    Hey if his PTSD is from his job then he should be covered under workmans compinsation.
    He will have to file a new claim but they will pick up the bill in the end.
    It will take awhile but it's worth it.
    Take care.

  4. sp607

    sp607 New Member

    Thanks a bunch Fire. Neither of us have either had to use workman's comp so I'm honestly not sure how it works (call me stupid, LOL). Have a good night!
  5. itsKismet

    itsKismet I'm a VIP
    Premium Member

    I was going to say the same...worker's comp is the way to go. And you've got the proof that its job related. GOOD LUCK!
  6. tvorsky

    tvorsky New Member

    If the police department he works for is covered by the Federal Employer Liability Act they don't have to have a worker's comp provider and can carry their own worker's comp plan. And, if they are like railroads, according to FELA they don't have to pay worker's comp for psychological injuries, only for like three counciling sessions, which, I agree, won't Cure anything.

    That is what I found out recently. But if he has good health care benefits, they can be made to pay for them. I got a letter from my health care provider saying they were not going to pay for my treatments to either my physician or my therapist because they deemed it a work-related injury. But with the help of an attorney in filling out the appeal forms, I appealed my health care providers ruling and, to my surprise, they reversed themselves and now are paying for 80-90 percent of my doctor bills and about 80 percent of my therapy bills, largely because my therapist bills me the MEDICARE minimum of $65 an hour and my health care provider picks up someting like $42 of that. Plus, the attorney helped me fill the appeal out in such a way that it is still considered a work-place injury and if I'm found medically unfit to work for the department again, I can still pursue compensation for that injury from the company through the courts.
    An attorney with an eye out for possibly representing your husband should he not be able to return to his line of work should do this for free, or at a minimal cost. And a good therapist should work with you on what he or she charges per hour.
    Hope that helps some.
  7. Cate

    Cate Active Member

    Getting Employer to Pay for Treatment

    Another thing you can try is Veterans Affairs. I'm not sure if police officers are considered veterans in the USA but they are in Canada and we are entitled to benefits, including counselling. Your husband may qualify as a veteran.

    I agree with the other people who replied, though, and Workers Comp. will help him receive the counselling he needs.

    Good luck.
  8. Riggs413

    Riggs413 Active Member

    SP607, I agree with most of what has been already written here but can I also suggest that you try finding a therapist that is more interested in treating your husband than in making money. I had to go through a few until I found the perfect one for me.

    When Worker's comp cut me off and the Insurance company strated playing games, he treated me for free until I started receiving benefits again (a period of 6 months). I realize that not everyone can find a therapist like this, but you never know until you try.

    FYI.....Cate, I read your post and looked into Veteran's Affairs as I am (was) a serving police officer in Canada. From what I have found, I believe only the Horesemen (RCMP, our Federal Police) are looked after through Veteran's Affairs in Canada. Those of us in Municipal or Provincial Police Agencies have to go through Worker's Comp or LTD Insurance Companies, as we are not covered by Veteran's Affairs, nor considered veterans. If you have any further information to the contrary can you please provide more details, as this would be an avenue that I would like to follow up on, as I just can't find the information you refer to on the Veteran's Affairs website.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.