1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Daily Dose

Get the last 24hrs of new topics delivered to your inbox.

Click Here to Subscribe

Just Diagnosed With PTSD

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by nurse1, May 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nurse1

nurse1 Active Member

Hey everyone. I am not a vet or rape victom but. I have had my own terrism tramatic events. Not really ready to share my full story. All I can say is that I have suffered for many years. I have just started with professional help because I am very tired of having my family.work.and personal life suffer from my baggage. I dont know alot about this disorder other than all the pain it has caused me. I have not started the actual treatment and not sure what all that will intel.
    My doctor has just annouced to me this is what I suffer from. I came from a home that stabbings.broken bones. just outright abuse were seen and indured. I tried to leave that world behind but its always there and keeps coming back. So I guess you dont have to be raped or a vet to feel terror.
    I admire everyone here who has served our country. And my heart goes out to any rape victom. For the record I did go threw being raped as an adlult also. I dont think that was the onset of my disorder. So I really feeling that I am in my own catagory. I guess I am feeling a little alone. I have not met anyone in my life thats had such a scary childhood. But the common link is that I do understand the symtoms of PDSD.
    Thank you for your time in reading this. I really hope to get to know more about PDSD and how to cope .

2. Register to participate in live chat, PTSD discussion and more.
  3. anthony

anthony Renovation Aficionado Founder

Hi nurse, welcome to the forum. This forum is not for any person of particular type of trauma, it is for anyone with PTSD. Simple as that.... not exclusive, nor categorised into any type of trauma, hence the nature of the PTSD Forum!

4. nurse1

nurse1 Active Member

Thanks Athony

Thanks for your welcome. Sorry to sound so stupid about the cause of PTSD. After goung to other furums and checking them out. It seem like that they really concentrated on War Vets and raped victoms. Even my Doctor deals with Vets at the local VA hospital and has PTSD from war. I think I actually have a guilt complex for having the DX. Like I am taking something away from vets. And really didnt read the furum enough before my post to realize that the are alot of abused adult children who suffer from this.

All I know is that I cant wait until my next appointment. I can start looking foward to sometype of treatment. At this time for me I am in severe pain just remembering past events. Emotions are not my specialty and dont like to feel much at all.

I hope that this whole thing gets easier. The only reason that I had to deal with it was because I could no longer perform on my job and I guit. I am 37 and hadnt ever slowed down in life to this slowed me down. I am at a standstill in life right now. I know I have to break this wall thats holding me here. I dont feel as if this is going to be and easy fix. I know this will be painful to open back doors in my life that I have tried so hard to keep it all behind me.

Thank you again you sound very surportive and understanding.

5. anthony

anthony Renovation Aficionado Founder

Well, bad news is, it actually gets harder before it gets easier, though that is a good thing for your own sake. Trust me when I say, if it doesn't get hard for you, and your not wiped out, moody, irritable and angry when you leave therapy, get a new therapist near immediately, because you should be worn out at the end of a session if done right. You must be pushed, you must get worse first, which means your being pushed to deal with your trauma, get it out and deal with it, no longer fear it. To do this, you will get obviously worse.

The worse is only a short term thing though in the scheme of things, if done correctly and if pushed hard enough. Good luck with your recovery.

6. cookie

cookie I'm a VIP

hey, nurse, welcome to the forum.

7. cactus_jack

cactus_jack Well-Known Member

Hi Nurse, welcome aboard!

8. hodge

hodge I'm a VIP Premium Member

Hi, I really relate to having work difficulties because of ptsd from abusive epxeriences from childhood and beyond. Just want to say welcome. There's a lot of helpful information here, both in the Information section as well as all the posts on people's experiences. I hope you'll find it all useful, as I have.

I tried to leave it behind, too, for years in fact, but, as my therapist says, that strategy ends up kicking you in the butt, eventually. Too true for me.

9. nurse1

nurse1 Active Member

Thanks for the welcome everyone.

10. mouse

mouse Well-Known Member

welcome nurse \
    I understan your feelings and I have worked as a medic for years so I understand the traumas you have seen but maybe not the ones you have endured. chat with you anytime

11. nurse1

nurse1 Active Member

Thanks mouse for your post. Its nice to chat with people who understand

12. pandora

pandora I'm a VIP

Welcome nurse 1, I am also a nurse.

PTSD has kicked my butt too and I am off work as well, I tried to go back, went too early and just about didn't make it, how can we take care of others when it is so hard to even take care of ourselves and families. i wish both of us the best. I miss my nursing career, it was everything to me.

13. nurse1

nurse1 Active Member

Thanks for your comment. But it just sucks. I am working at this lesser job and seeing some friends. And that sucks to. My company is so large I had hopes of getting to my department without being notice by the surgical staff. No such luck. Seen someone everyday this week.

And my job is stress free but boring now.

Take Care Pandora

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Show Sidebar