• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Just Need Some Advice Re: Memory Loss

Status
Not open for further replies.

pandora

MyPTSD Pro
Ok...today i had a disussion with my mother......she told me we already had the conversation, i really forgot. Is this memory loss from PTSD?

Does anyone else experience this to extremes? I have to write everything down and I do have a lot of memory lapses and disturbances....anyone else?

Memory loss

Pandora, my memory is completely shot to shreds, I am not sure if it's Post Traumatic related, or if it's 'just me'...

You're certainly not alone.
XOX

It's PTSD. It doesn't leave us much room, in our brains, to remember other stuff. I live by my Palm Pilot, without it I'm lost.

I tell people straight up, if it's not written down I won't know about it, so that people are forewarned in advance.

It, of course, gets worse with more stressful times. All part and parcel of PTSD.

bec

I have no memory of events that take place 10 minutes ago. I repeat myself constantly and ask others "I don't remember if I told you this already, but....." They usually remind me I have already told them twice, maybe three times.

It is very frustrating.

Peace
Tammy

My memeory sucks too...short-term, especially....I know how frustrating it is...Sometimes I stop mid-sentence and have no idea what I was just saying...makes class participation very challenging :(

While my short term memory has gotten better than it was when my symptoms were high, it's still not where it was. I kinda figure this is something that's just part of me now.

At work and home, I survive by writing notes for everything. I write them on notepads, I write menus (so I remember what I have food-wise), notes for what bills to pay what week, on calendars, where to go and when to go there. It goes on and on. At work it's even more notes than home. If it's important, it gets written down or it gets forgotten. Another of my adjustments.

For most of the first year after my symptoms, I was repeating myself to my family all the time. We'd have the same conversation at least twice...damn near every time. At first they were fussing at me for repeating myself. Then they got used to. Here for the last several months that particular habit has resolved itself.

Lisa

We certainly do have memory issues as part of PTSD. We also get hit with a double whammy when on medications. If you are on medications that probably is playing a part in it. Yes, it is frustrating. I forget little things and some big things all the time. It was worse when medicated. I am a person who can watch a movie 5 times and still not remember it. I constantly go oh, I have been wanting to see that movie and watch it and hubs will say you have seen it X amount of times already, so I just ask before I watch it if I have seen it. Does not stop me from watching it again though LOL.

I constantly go oh, I have been wanting to see that movie and watch it and hubs will say you have seen it X amount of times already, so I just ask before I watch it if I have seen it. Does not stop me from watching it again though LOL.
:smile: *tongue in cheek*
Could be good for him, too. If he ever gives you a present that you really like a lot and you set it aside ... well, he could come along, pick it up, rewrap and hide it until the next holiday/birthday and give it to you all over again. One of the very few bonuses perhaps, especially since meds are so durned expensive.

*big wink* :think:

I forget a lot of things too. It has gotten worse for me since I started therapy. I guess my brain is too filled up with other things right now.

Veiled -- I like getting to watch movies more than once :smile:

My memory is awful too. I also depend a great deal on my Palm Pilot.

The odd thing is when I read a book for example I can't remember the authors name, but I can remember the content of everything I just read. Or, I can remember lyrics to a song, but not the artist name.

I find myself one moment sitting watching TV, then the next I'm in another room of the house, and I can't remember even getting up, much less what I went in the other room for.

Driving is another memory issue for me. I know a lot of people zone out and don't remember driving for miles, but I often find myself completely distracted by my thoughts to a point that it's causing me a lot of concern. I'm fearful that I'm going to get into an accident where I might hurt someone or myself.

Anyway, I think that my memeory issues are due to my mind racing. I'm just curious, do any of you ever find your self way ahead of conversations. Like, someone will be talking to you, and you know where their going and get frustrated that they can't seem to get to the point fast enough? Many people think that I'm quick witted, but I'm telling you that my mind just wont quit racing.

John

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back