• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Just Sing Something

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kintsugi

Sponsor
Hi all,

I've wanted to do this for a long time. I created a thread years ago called Songs You Relate to, asking members to share lyrics from songs with which they empathize.

Now I want members to share songs... by singing them. :D Themselves. Yourselves. Ourselves.

I found a website called SpeakPipe (SpeakPipe.com), where I can record up to 5 minutes and then link to the recording. If someone finds a better way to do this outside of YouTube, please let me know, as 5 minutes is too short for a lot of songs.

Anyway, I'll probably be posting quite a lot of these today, but in the spirit of things, here is my first recording. I haven't listened to it yet, and I hadn't heard the song in years, so there are mistakes in it, just as the original vocalist Amanda Palmer would want.

This song is called "Sing," and it is by The Dresden Dolls from their album Yes, Virginia.

Link Removed

I really love your idea, Simon! I know about vocaroo.com, same concept as speakpipe.com. I don't know if there's any limit to length of recordings, though. I've had some issues with using it.

I might consider posting something if I dare to and if I'm home alone at some point to make a recording :unsure: It's scary though. I hate my voice, and the fact that I don't get to practice and build confidence and become better makes me hate it even more, so it all just becomes one huge cruel cycle I can't break out of :P

Anyway, I could maybe do Hurt by Nine Inch Nails/Trent Reznor after transposing it. Or fancy metal ballades. Pearl Jam has nice songs, I really like them. Same goes for Seigmen and I don't even know how many artists.
I always have to transpose the music, though :P I don't go very deep.

By the way, if anyone has a song they love that is out of their range with too low or too high notes, a simple way to change the pitch is to download Audacity and do it there. You should get an instrumental track, though, or you'll completely mess up the original vocals, and singing alone is better anyway. So basically when you've downloaded Audacity you go find your song, download it and open it in Audacity. You can download from youtube by putting "magic" in the ling (youmagictube.com/*link to your song here*).
I believe you change the pitch of a song in Audacity by pressing "Effect" at the top bar and then choose "Change Pitch". From there it's try and fail, youtube has many tutorials on Audacity.

It you're only doing one song it'd probably be a lot of stress to learn, but if you're interested music Audacity is a useful and free tool
This was off-topic but anyway... arrest me if I'm ruining your thread Simon :whistling:

I've been on Singsnap, as @WildMermaid linked to, for way too many years. If anybody else has a membership there they do have a blank recording now where you can record your own original material or whatever. I think it lists the don't use copyrighted materials disclaimer, but it's not exactly like we'd be using it.

Posting my recordings... now that's a scary prospect. I feel like I kind of "know" you guys. That's much scarier than posting for strangers! Maybe I'll force myself to put something up soon.

Hey, maybe if I post my own caterwauling it will show some of the reluctant folks something truly horrible and they won't be shy about their own recordings anymore! LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back