• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Kandahar, Afghanistan - Explosion and Bodies

Status
Not open for further replies.

fieldjagger

New Here
I was on patrol, in the city of Kandahar, Afghanistan. I was leading my squad through a routine patrol of the city.
We spent the last several months patrolling the city, making sure it was secure, talking with the people, buying the local food to build trust, the UN was scared "go figure" because of a recent car-bombing near their building in '03....so we, the Military Police..., were tasked to patrol the city on a daily basis.
I, along with two other squad leaders, we lead our patrols into Kandahar City.....the heart of the former Taliban Government.
I saw first hand Afghan women......for the first time....voting for a Democratic government.........
I saw business' come back to the city........
I saw children playing in the steets.....
I saw schools teaching both young boys & girls......
I saw a people who wanted their society become better......

I saw an explosion......and I saw bodies, of at least 7 Afghan children, who were playing soccer......who died from an IED blast that was meant for my patrol....200 meters away.

Several of my friends have died. In both Afghanistan & Iraq. I only keep thinking to myself....why not me?.....why them?.....All of my friends who have died over there were good men...so why am I left?....Why do I remain??
All I do know.......I'm heading over in a month......I only pray that I can live up to what they have done..

I know the feeling. All I can say is that I can see that I am blessed for returning at all. I'm going to spend the rest of my life being the best person I can and I will never forget my friends, and I hope that I never let there memory's go.

God speed and good luck over there

Hi fieldjagger, fellow Canadian soldier here.

Have you talked to any one about this through the pre-deployment screening?

Stay safe.

God Bless you and be with you fieldjagger. Thank you.

I have great concern for people's lack knowledge or understanding of the stress our military people go through - especially upon returning from overseas. I tried to impress upon our HR department at work prior to losing my job that they need to have some sensitivity training in dealing with a lot of our reservists returning to work with little or no support. Their heads are uhm...well lets just say they are in the wrong place...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back