1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Daily Dose

Get the last 24hrs of new topics delivered to your inbox.

Click Here to Subscribe

Kathy's Mental Imagery

Discussion in 'General' started by Kathy, Mar 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kathy

Kathy I'm a VIP

This is an imaginery journey down a road. Take in the sights, sounds and colours, just like a video camera recording all that lies surrounding you. Survey the scene, noticing whatis far off in the distance, the background surrounds, the weather, the season and a total image of what you view. Feel the ground beneath your feet. Try to visualize it as a picture on a canvas, but with movement, sound, colour and emotion. You are the surveyor on this journey. Draw your journey on paper if you desire, as it often shows clearer results, then attach your drawing via snapshot or scan to your post.

Q1. What colour is the road? A deep reddish brown.
    Q2. What texture is the road? The road is cobblestones, making it a bit bumpy in spots, but mostly smooth and easy to walk on.
    Q3. How solid is the road? Slightly worn but very solid.

You continue walking and come to a river that must be crossed. There before you is the river; the size and depth are up to you. You cannot go around it but must imagine a way to cross it. Whatever you need to cross the river is already within your mind, just imagine seeing yourself do it.

Q4. How do you cross the river? I wade across it, as the water is quite shallow.
    Q5. What does the water look like? Very clean and clear.
    Q6. How fast is the water current? Slow to medium. Slow enough to cross it with ease, but not so slow as to be stagnant.
    Q7. Is there anything in the water? If so, what? The bottom is soft sand, and there are a few good sized rocks scattered throughout.

You have crossed the river and continue walking. You come to a house. Take a good look at the house. Notice the impression it makes on you.

Q8. What colour is the house? A very pretty manila green.
    Q9. What condition is the house in? Fine condition, well kept, and fairly modern, though not brand new.
    Q10. Does anyone live in the house? If so, who? I live there, along with my husband and children.

We continue forward in our minds journey and come to an open field. A cup is on the ground, and we stop to examine it. The cup can be of any size, shape, colour and description. Focus on it's look, condition and contents.

Q11. What colour is the cup? The cup is shiny porcelain with intricate designs, a vibrant pretty yellow on the outside and a creamy white inside.
    Q12. What condition is the cup in? It is well used but in very good condition still.
    Q13. Is there anything in the cup? If so, what? There is nothing in the cup, though it is a bit dusty.

You continue walking down the road and come to something blocking your path. It stops you in your tracks and prevents you from going forward. This is an obstacle.

Q14. What is the obstacle, and please describe it in detail? A large boulder covered in moss and lichens.
    Q15. What do you see beyond the obstacle? A beautiful grassy meadow, cliffs, a beach and the ocean.

2. Register to participate in live chat, PTSD discussion and more.
  3. Kathy

Kathy I'm a VIP

Now you have had a break, go back to every question and look at your response. Try and find what you feel that your mind presented the image it did. Explain colours you chose, textures, water, cup, solids, liquids, space, objects, people, anything and everything that you wrote from your projected image, try and find what you feel to why you have that image. Don't look hard at things, instead try and look for the easy answers, as they are often the correct one's. Don't attempt to find something that isn't present, just look at each aspect for its absolute simplicity.

This is not an absolute, but something you must do in order to try and self analyse yourself. This is important. Please answer what you can, and simply define if you cannot find an emotion to a response you gave.

The road is a deep reddish brown because I find that colour most pleasing and very relaxing. The cobblestones are identical to those on the street where I grew up in St. John's. I have very pleasant memories of playing on that street and jumping on the stones. I suppose the road is slightly worn because it is so rare to see a new brand new road, at least in my part of the world. I appreciate older things, as they are often more solid and better made. I feel relaxation, happiness and nostalgia.

I enjoy wading in clean fresh water. I have always been drawn to brooks and streams, and consider crossing them both a challenge and a delight. The sound and sight of water relaxes me a great deal. I love the feel of soft sand on my feet. The rocks are there primarily as stepping stones, on the rare occasions that I don't wish to wade in the water. They also remind me to be cautious where I step. I feel again relaxation, delight, excitement, and a bit of trepidation.

The house is manila green because I love that colour and consider most shades of green pleasing, very vibrant and alive. I like things to be well kept and in good condition, because I believe it shows care and concern. I do not feel comfortable in dirty or run down surroundings. Keeping everything in good condition is important for my mood, and my mood directly impacts those around me, especially my family. My children and husband are in the house, along with myself, because they are the most important people in my life, and I like to keep them close. I feel happiness, togetherness, and a sense of duty.

The cup is porcelain because my mum collected porcelain cups and saucers, and as a child I spent many happy moments examining and playing with them. I was fascinated by their intricate designs. Yellow is such a sunny happy colour, and the creamy white off sets the yellow, so its not too intense. I'm not certain about the dust, all I can say is that when a cup is older and is not used often, it does get a bit dusty and needs a wipe before you pour your tea. I feel wonder, happiness, and again a sense of duty, of needing to clean things every so often.

I am not certain about the boulder. Actually I quite like boulders, I enjoyed climbing them as a youngster. I find them especially interesting when they are mossy and multi-coloured. They make the landscape more rugged. I often think about how ancient they are, all the eons they have seen upon this earth. The meadow, cliffs, beach and ocean are indicative of my home in Newfoundland. I suppose I am missing it currently. I love our home and I certainly miss the cliffs and the ocean especially. So, I feel a bit homesick, though I know we will be returning there soon enough.

4. anthony

anthony Renovation Aficionado Founder

Kathy, I must say it was a pleasure reading this. A vast difference from reading those with such high trauma....

Highly emotional, excited even, towards life. Well aware of lifes little difficulties, ups and downs. Highly trusting within intimacy, absolute enjoyment from being intimate. Your supports systems are healthy and vigorous, well aware of surroundings and demonstrate a high self esteem. Highly value commitment, though you do feel a little depreciated in a relationship. You feel challenged by a significant unexpected problem or situation at present, though see a very bright and prosperous future for yourself.

5. Kathy

Kathy I'm a VIP

Oh, I'm ever so glad you enjoyed reading it. Yes, I'm fortunate. I've not really had trauma in my life to speak of. Only the usual life changes that one must expect. Do you mean depreciated in my relationship with Jim? I suppose that may be slightly true. I have never liked him being away for long periods, although it was my choice to marry an officer in the military, so I can't very well complain. Is the significant unexpected problem relating to Evie? I hate to think of my Evie as a problem, a challenge maybe, but not a problem.

Thank you in any event, this was an interesting process and I enjoyed it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Show Sidebar