1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Daily Dose

Get the last 24hrs of new topics delivered to your inbox.

Click Here to Subscribe

Kept Job For Almost 4 Months, Longest Yet

Discussion in 'Accomplishments' started by White0nWhite, Sep 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. White0nWhite

White0nWhite Member

Well, since May of this year, I've held my job (overnight stocker at a home improvement store). It's almost 4 months now and that's the longest I've been able to hold a job since the systems started to really surface in May 2005. I used to call out a lot too, when I was working my past jobs post-May2005 (the jobs lasted less then a month or two). I'd call out at least once a week.
    This recent job, I've only called out twice. Both due to a foot infection and a sinus infection, each time I had a doctor's note. :) So I have not missed any work related to my PTSD.. and for me.. it's a major step considering how often I missed work before.
    There are nights where I get flashbacks, or have issues and get upset and really want to go home. But I'm able to hide in the rest room for a bit and silently cry it out, wipe cold water on my face, and get back to opening boxes and stocking shelves.. I'm grateful they let us have ipods/radios/ect while we work, because the music helps keep the negative thoughts away...
    I just.. really hope this helps some of you.. because I didn't know if I could handle working... But I can.. I'm just really proud I kept this job this long. I'm only working 32 hours a week. But in Nov I'm asking for full-time. I think I can do it. If I don't feel ready, or they don't have the hours.. I'll ask during our busy season next spring...

2. Register to participate in live chat, PTSD discussion and more.
  3. permban0077

permban0077 Policy Enforcement Banned

Keeping a job with PTSD is very hard to do. Congratulations on being able to do it!

4. White0nWhite

White0nWhite Member

Thank you Veiled. My therapist (back when I still saw her) was concerned for me about taking on such a job, she really wanted me to work at a small pet shop or book store.. But I wanted to try something more challenging. I'm so glad I've been able to handle it.

5. Marlene

Marlene I'm a VIP Premium Member

StarHawk,

Some days work and PTSD just don't go together. Like you, I've spent time in the ladies room crying, cleaning up and getting back to it. But the harder you work on taking care of yourself and dealing with your traumas, the easier work will become. Congrats on asking for full time.

The more you do, the more you know you can do. Keep up the good work!

Lisa

6. nie

nie Wishing for wings to fly. Premium Member Donated

Congratulations StarHawk!

7. anthony

anthony Renovation Aficionado Founder

Congrats starhawk, excellent work on your behalf.

8. Seeking_Nirvana

Seeking_Nirvana I'm a VIP

I'm glad I read your post skyhawk. I can't hold a job for more than 3-4 months and I wasn't sure why. I had some theroies, but didn't realize that most people with ptsd have this same issue.

Thanks for sharing that
    Tammy

9. batgirl

batgirl I'm a VIP

Congratulations, I understand how hard it is... it's awesome you were able to keep a job for so long!

10. EmoxxKid

EmoxxKid Active Member

;)

U bring hope;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Show Sidebar