• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Klonopin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grace511

Confident
Hi all,

I have been on Klonopin 0.5mg three times a day for almost a month now.

I notice about an or so after I take, it I start talking a lot. Is that normal? It is like I go from 0 to 60. Also once it starts to wear off my hands shake.

I take it (or try) or try to take it at 7,2 and somewhere between 8 and 9.

Last edited by a moderator:
Benzos (short term for classification of the 4 anti-anxiety medications, including Klonopin) make you feel relaxed so you are able to do things you normally wouldn't do, like being a chatty cathy lol. I was on Xanax on and off for a few years and I found I talked a lot to.

Benzos are highly addictive with xanax being the most addictive. My psychiatrist does not prescribe benzos to anyone with PTSD. His reason is benzos just mask the effects, it also impairs your memory which does not help you "be present" which is important with PTSD. Benzos make it harder to form new memories so you literally become stuck in the past. There is a lot of heat particularly with xanax about wanting to take benzos off the market in the US. Again, this was just my case with it.

My friend was on klonopin for exploive mood disorders, she has fallen over, wrecked her car numerous times, lashed out in anger, and all that not so fun stuff. Now she is on xanax and it has made it worse, to the point where I don't even talk to her anymore.

I find myself stumbling sometimes and running into doors and such.

I definitely feel effects from not taking it, I tend to be more spaced out when I forget it.

I don't seem to be accident-prone on it, although people react differently. Ativan made someone I know delusional. I know people who get really sedated on one kind of benzo compared to another.

If anxiety is inhibiting you, it's understandable that you would talk more on it. I tend to free up and be more talkative too. My functioning in general improves. I don't want to be on it, but that's another topic.

You're already taking it 3 times a day which is what I was going to suggest. When do you feel the most wearing off effects?
If in the morning, that's tricky if you take it when you wake up. If you feel it more with the afternoon or evening dose, the times could be tweaked, or you might think about what else in your daily rhythm might affect this. For what it's worth I try to take it at 7, 2, 7. Usually, it's not that regular. Need to start using phone alarm again.

Hope you can figure out a dosing schedule that works for you, Grace.

Well I saw my psychiatrist today and he switched me from the Klonopin to Xanax due to the side effects of the Klonopin.

We agreed on up to 3 mg a day. I will take it on the same schedule as I did the Klonopin but if there is a day I have to do something that will cause really high anxiety like going to the grocery store I can take a pill in the morning,split the second pill up and the third at night. Splitting the second one up is so I can take half before going into the store so Im calm.

The drugs can make you lose your inhibitions and they can also make you lose your balance. I'm surprised your doctor viewed those things as side effect because typically it takes time to adjust until you don't feel those initial symptoms anymore. You were on a high dose of klonopin! 1.5 mg might not sound like much but it's equivalent to 30 mg Valium. Most people would be walking into things if they started off on that amount. Now you're on Xanax which can be a real pain to come off of if you ever decide to come off of because of the short half life.

You've been on it for a month which is not enough to develop a dependency.

The FDA recommends that it's not taken for more then 2 weeks to avoid becoming dependent.

Dependency is different then addiction. Dependent means your body freaks out without it.

It can be a real pain to come off if you become dependent.

The drug can change on you suddenly. What works one day might not work the next.

Just some things I think everybody should know before taking this drug.

I am the same way. Now it is better, for 6 months I took one 1mg pill in the morning and one 1 mg in the evening. Then we weaned to half and half, then to half and now I take them when it's really bad. On the highest dosage I felt good but out of reality if that makes sense. I was functioning, which I wasn't doing prior to that but only because of the medicine. Through the weaning process I learned how to really function without the heavy daily dosage. Now I take antidepressant daily, and the klonopin when it's a bad bad day.

Hugs, it's tough stuff!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back