• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Landlord Requirng Facebook

Status
Not open for further replies.
I did a little bit of looking. I can't find anything even remotely like that anywhere.

Besides being the stupidest thing I've heard this week, that doesn't even begin to sound legal.

If they really want to push the issue, do what Anthony suggested, make a Fakebook.

Where do people come up with shit like this. I mean seriously, who the hell sits around and thinks. "Hey, Here's a good idea. Let's force people to use a social media thing because we're to f*cking cheap to pay for a copy machine."

"But what if they don't like it?"

"Then we will just up some ridiculous over the top punishment to frighten them into submission. Like eviction."

"Yeah! We'll be the coolest landlords ever! We totally won't look like asshole slumlords!"

Sorry.... got carried away. That is seriously stupid though. *shakes head*

Technically, you can't 'friend' a page on Facebook - if it is actually a page, then you can 'Like' a page, but that won't give them access to anything on your account that isn't public. Their wording would suggest they haven't had this checked out by anyone legal.

If they have set up an account that you can 'friend', they may actually be in breach of Facebook rules. It used to be the case that a business could not have a personal account like that. If that is the case and someone reported it as being a business, not a person, Facebook could take the account down, which would make an arse of their requirements....

I think a dummy account with notifications sent to your email whenever they mgmt company posts will be a small hassle to set up but will, in the long run, be the easiest solution. For a dummy account you just need a different email address than the one attached to your primary account, and a name that is moderately plausible. Use your middle as your first and your first as your last - or just be a jones or a smith for your last.

It's annoying, but I'm not sure a fight worth fighting.

I can't see this being legal. You could cross out that paragraph and sign, then when they argue back (if they do) you argue it's not legal.

From a USA website
" Federal law protects renters against certain forms of discrimination. The Fair Housing Act (FHA), part of the Civil Rights Act of 1968, prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, sex, familial status, or disability. (42 U.S.C. §§ Link Removed) Over the years, Link Removedhave increased FHA protections to include, among other things, anti-age discrimination."

I would argue that requiring Facebook is discrimination particularly if you don't want to because of a disability or mental illness.

The best way to argue would be with proof but it might be tricky to find nice clean references to prior legal cases as Facebook is still "new". ( I looked for you but didn't easily find anything, but it is harder for me to search as Google keeps using my location and ignoring USA

I think that is what I will have to do, going to talk to them about it tomorrow.

I will say, my husband is being very good to me right now and trying comforit me, so I have to give credit where credit is due for as much as I have complained about he responds when I am freaking out like this.

Don't tell them you have another FB account, don't be honest with them period. Create a fake FB now... using a Fake email account you setup. FB connect to an email, what name you use has nothing to do with FB. Login is with email... because lots of people have the same name globally. So just create a new email account, then setup a fake FB. Then what you do, using gmail as an example, you set your FB to send an email whenever something is sent to your account, then send that fake gmail to your real email account. You never send anything back... but you get all the email from your fake FB to your real email. Easy as... without any legal issues.

Then... I would challenge the shit out of them legally.

There are many news stations such as Fox (in the US) that one can anonymously report on-line or call with a tip. I have done this and the situation gets resolved rather quickly due to bad Public Relations for the entity. The stations generally offer "On your side" for the ones that will dive in the quickest to fill the time slots. For me, reporting it, then spun to the newspapers once the TV News broke. :devilish::)

Talking to rental personnel will only tip them off as to your Plan B which might well be the fake account for a stop gap measure. They will not change their minds as you have the most to lose. Many apartment complexes or properties are owned by investment companies with stockholders as well as legal professional associations. If the management is doing this with your units, then most likely other owned properties may have it already implemented or in the beginning stages. So the news tip could be a great little news feed buzz insofar as privacy and using your photos with forced eviction.

If carefully orchestrated, you could make a difference!:tup:

Last edited:
I totally agree with @anthony. I cannot imagine that to be legal. What about your former contract with the old company? It cannot mean nothing from one second to another. And if you never signed that you agree with the facebook.-stuff, they cannot get you for that.

Create a fake account for the time being, they cannot force you to put your legal data out in the web - and it's like they force you to give away your data so they can spread it. Are there any data safety rules in your state? I don't know about the US laws...

Stay strong, we're with you. You can fight this.

There are privacy laws, and the US is quite stringent with privacy laws... and forcing access to FB which is legally imposed to have privacy restrictions and allow such privacy to all users, I doubt very much can be undone by some building owner. You cannot skirt privacy laws... and forcing access to your private FB is a privacy intrusion.

I know this because if I "forced" every member of this website to register via their FB account, instead of allowing a choice which presently exists, then I would be dragged through courts at this present time for privacy breaches. And I would lose. I guess it depends whether you have the $$$ to fight it... but I like the above advice, being skirt all your stress with a fake FB (PC me if you have issues in setting this up) and then report it to local TV and radio stations, to garner attention towards a right to privacy breach.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back