• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

News Las vegas massacre

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Dr.Knowbuddy Couldn't agree more.

I have a television. I haven't turned it on in years. The last time I did, was to check the weather channel about a severe thunderstorm that was starting to make me a bit nervous.
Before that, probably a year from when I actually watched something.

The only reason I still have it at all, is it is an older projection screen TV. You know, the kind that are as wide as they are tall.
The guy who I got it from had it built into the wall. So I'd have to fix a 5'×4' hole in the living room wall.

Now that I think about it. I think it's bigger than the door. How the hell did he even get it in here....?
Nevermind, doesn't matter.

Going out on a range with some AR's, AK's, shotguns, and any other kind of legally aquirable firepower. To turn a bunch of those brain cell melting idiot boxes into swiss cheese?
That's what I think guns are for. That would be great fun. :D

This morning, at the end of a piece on these event, one of the hosts on NPR did a bit of an essay. One of the things, the MAIN thing, he was wondering about was the influence of the media (all of it) on these kinds of events. He pointed out that relatively few people remember the name of the officer who died trying to arrest Lee Harvey Oswald, but everyone remembers Oswald. All these mass murderers end up famous. People speculate on their motives and what made them tick & all, just like we're doing (which, BTW seems like a perfectly normal and somewhat useful, thing to do.) He wondered if maybe the kind of person how would do something like commit mass murder might also be the kind of person who would crave this kind of attention. He wondered what kind of role the media is playing and what to do about that.

I said earlier that a little bit of research had suggested that there was an uptick and a change in this kind of behavior back in the 60's. I believe it was @shimmerz who mentioned the media was changing about then. A few of you just now mentioned mass media....... What do we DO about this?

Outfits like Facebook don't exist for the public good. They exist to make money for themselves. Personally, I'm at a point where I wonder about any news source "What's in it for them?" because I think, most of the time, there is something and I think motivation is important. You can argue all you want about who's lying, what we need is sources of information we can actually trust. What does it take to get that?

@hodge , I ordered the book on mass murder in the US this morning.

It has occurred to me that, if the authorities ever have any reason to check out my library, online searches, etc, I'm in a lot of trouble. :wideeyed: I'd ask you guys to vouch for me, but I'm not sure how much credibility an online forum of crazy people would have out in the world. :D Anyway, I'll report back when I've read the book.

I appreciate your kind words, @hodge . Thank you.

Unfortunately, way too much credibility is given to many places/individuals/collectives/etc. that create much more harm than than good, be it in mainstream media or behind closed "professional" doors.

As long as many of these things are continually and widely taught as being the socially accepted/expected norm, and not allowed to be questioned without the person questioning automatically being considered some kind of a nut case, based on asking the damn question alone, the shit show will remain firmly in tact.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back