• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

General Latent Ptsd

Status
Not open for further replies.

bewildered

New Here
As I mentioned elsewhere, my wife has recently broken down. She seems like a different person all of a sudden. We always knew there were some latent issues, but I never expected it to come out so drastically.

My question for you all is about latent PTSD. Her process getting up to Canada was a long and stressful one; we had to live in a confined space for a long period of time. She was also isolated from her family and friends, she clung to me for much of it and we spent almost all of our time together for almost 4 years. When she left, something in her snapped, and she came back a different person.

When she returned, our whole house was triggering to her. She was having physiological symptoms like nausea in my presence. Anything that reminded her of how entangled we were became threatening. She moved a mattress into her office and made that her space. She pushed me almost right out of her heart and life, pulling out memories of our relationship that proved to her I was manipulative and controlling over the years. She doubts even marrying me in the first place. She even went as far as worrying about me destroying her art and hurting her cat, something which was done to her in a previous abusive relationship.

Is this all common when latent PTSD comes out? Will it pass, is there anything I should or shouldn't do? I am trying to understand what is happening, what is her, and what is stemming from PTSD symptoms.

Thanks!

IME there aren't too many things PTSD related that "just pass". Most things need to be worked on. Some things may seem to just pass but to me it's more of a matter of healing overall and symptoms as a whole improve, even if you weren't directly working on improving a specific symptom.

I suggest giving her the space she needs. Is she in treatment? Is treatment an option? ( I know the Canadian system can be frustrating at times.)

@EveHarrington Thank you. Perhaps it "passing" was wrong wording; I guess I just want to know if this phase of panic will pass. I want to give her space and support her; I just also need to deal with some of the aspects of the situation that have put me into a very hurt and difficult spot.

She just started treatment with a therapist a few weeks ago. I have a healthcare plan through my employer that covers some of it, which is good. She seems to be aware now that she is working with PTSD, which is a step in the right direction. At this point, aside from worrying about her health, I am also worried about our relationship.

My other thread has full details of the situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back