1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Daily Dose

Get the last 24hrs of new topics delivered to your inbox.

Click Here to Subscribe

Learning and Hobbies - Where Do You Stand?

Discussion in 'Social' started by madjon, Mar 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. madjon

madjon Active Member

someone said something to me which i started to think about, its something which may be useful so i thought i would see what people think.

i left school went into work and all the things of the world, learnt trades and stuff the hard way, i found that doing a short course or even a distance or adult learning course, can have many good things, it gives you something to think about other than whats going on, it gives you a way to express something creatively, it brings a safe way to interact with the world and other people, and it can also bring new opportunities into your life career wise, there are many little courses run in many establishments, everything from pottery and arts to the theories of 18th century gardening,or even meditation , there is something for everyone, though it may not be the greatest priority in life sometimes having something as a creative outlet such as a writing club can allow you to express yourself and give you something to do to help you bring yourself into a new way of doing things, hobbies are another good way to help keep you thinking and interacting with others, it doesnt have to be the classic stamp collecting or even collecting it could be gardening, or joining a book club, but there are many activities which can help you continue to learn in life and let you express yourself in a positive way, so do people have thoughts on this, do you do something that helps you have a ceative or expressive side, do you still learn and do you think it may be something you would want to investigate? would it be something that may help you?

2. Register to participate in live chat, PTSD discussion and more.
  3. kers

kers I'm a VIP

I'm a teacher, so I'm big on keeping learning! I've done three degrees and I think I'd like to start another one at some point. I'm putting it off because I think I often use school as an excuse to avoid dealing with what's going on inside me--after I finished my last degree is when I crashed and burned big time with the PTSD.

I am always reading--literature, non-fiction, anything. And I love to write stories and journal entries. I am trying to bring art into my journal, which is hard because I'm not real good at it, but I am enjoying finding ways to try to express myself in ways besides writing. It's a nice challenge. Batgirl posted about her collages once and I've been trying a bit of mixed media like that to try to get me started!

4. wildfirewildone

wildfirewildone Well-Known Member

:hello: I am presently in a writers group that meets every Wednesday evening at our public library....I have been writing poetry on and off since I was 16 [52 now] I have started a book about my life experiences and PTSD....This past week I took in my first section and it went over well....I got some real helpful suggestions to make it better....The one fellow group member lives in my building....I had met him years ago while participating in a creative arts group at our local mental health center....It was good to meet up with him again!! Interestingly enough he has PTSD also....It has been good for me to be accepted as a writer:biggrin: ....I am suggesting that whoever needs a "hobbie" to contact their local library and see what groups are there....:thumbs-up STANDING FOR PEACE AND NON-VIOLENCE

5. map9

map9 Active Member

hobbies are good

My grandmother was Cherokee and she died at age 102 and was still gainfully employed. She said "Idle hands are the devils workshop ... and so this is your lesson for your mind also little missy." She kept a garden and grew her own food and that is how I learned to do canning and baking, plus sewing and all sorts of home remedies. Because she was so poor and had so little in belongings she said it gave her peace of mind, "When you have nothing, no one wishes to take from you." I learned so much from her, she recycled decades before there was ever such a thing. Nothing was ever wasted, used again in some new and ingenious way. My father was like this too and was very clever at making wonderful useful items from things people normally threw into the trash. From him I learned how to hunt and ride, train a horse and learn patience and compassion. From my tall beautiful blond mother I learned that one must always have a passion for life and for others, to care not just for self but for the community as that would ripple out to the world at large. Each had a hobby and pursued it with gusto even into their old age. My father loved to build and fix things and my mother loved her flower beds and reading of good literature. I think now both had forms of PTSD that had never been diagnosed. My mother admitted to me just weeks before she passed away many of her painful secrets, of being raped by her older brother and having to go to work at age seventeen in the bomb factories during WWII. Seeing people being blown apart and maimed forever. My father had been in London during the blitz and other fronts where there was heavy fighting. So, I wonder if being a child of PTSD parents makes one predisposed to PTSD? They used their hobbies such as card playing to enrich their lives and social life, keeping many friends as close as family. Good and gentle souls who were kind and helpful. Life brings us many disturbing situations. I will stop here and just say another quote "When life gives you lemons, make lemon aide!" Love, map9