• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Learning To Listen To The Still Small Voice Of My Gut Instincts.

• Thread starter Deleted member 12723
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 12723

There is an excellent book called The Gift of Fear by Gavin de Becker. It has been a most valuable resource to me over the years.

So many times the still small voice would suggest something in my gut instincts which I blindly ignored and today I do not do that very much anymore.

The book is full of great information that covers so much ground.

I am learning to trust my gut instincts now. But when I am put on the spot or get caught off guard I still have the freeze response. I really need to work on this so much.

That still small voice is very wise.

Anyone else do this? Suggestions and advice welcome.

And many of us had to silence that voice or go mad.

Plus the positive thinking hype in pop psychology urges people to ignore it. I remember seeing an interview with the author, and was struck by his statement that humans are the only species who willingly override their fear - and that much damage and heartache result from it.

I am not much for ignoring this now, even though in my case, I have several voices to listen to. (The DID talks...) With that said, I know in the past, I have ignored red flags blatantly which for me, was in many ways a blessing. (I know I wouldn't be here now if I hadn't ignored those red flags.)

Anyway, I will have to check out this book when I get a chance. Might be some good reading.

Last edited:
Very interesting...my mantra for this week is 'To accept that I should live by what I can manage.'

Reminds me of a certain prayer called the "Serenity Prayer" I am not attempting to push religion or beliefs here...

The prayer is simple:

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
The courage to change those things I can, And the Wisdom to know the difference.

Ironic how Your mantra and this prayer are similar! :)

Sean/Geordie

Isn't it funny (not ha ha funny but...) how, well at least for me, I will react on a dime to completely harmless events / things that are just worries and doubts and fears that I'm letting take over me for no good reason... But then when it comes to actual things that can really affect me, those gut feelings that should be paid attention to, I just push them down and try to act like it doesn't mean anything? So backwards.

Thank you and you are so welcome. This book I have used over and over until I learned how to go with my gut feelings.. I sometimes think that I have learned so much from reading books. I am so glad you got the book. It explains things in common sense language.

Gizmo...the beginning is :nailbiting: well quite scarey for me. lol (I can be quite the turtle at times-you know pulling back in my head in a shell).:clown: Stats are breath taking.

I am now working on Chapter Three and have every confidence it will be worth it. The author is quite humble and seems really informed, yes? You really found/shared a good book, thanks.

Sometimes my gut instinct is much braver then I am. Like, recently, my sister told me I was invited to a party she was giving. I jumped at it, even asked my husband to take off so that we could go. Now I am wondering what I was thinking. It shouldn't be a harmful place for me to be, but I am nervous now. Trying not to think of it. That little voice that is putting all the doubts in my head needs to be quieted.

I'll have to check out the book. Thank you for suggesting it.[DOUBLEPOST=1404169516,1404169406][/DOUBLEPOST]I just bought it. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back