1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Daily Dose

Get the last 24hrs of new topics delivered to your inbox.

Click Here to Subscribe

Learning to Use Skills for Healing Journey

Discussion in 'Accomplishments' started by Marilyn_S, Apr 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Marilyn_S

Marilyn_S Well-Known Member

In my healing journey I have recently come to realize that no one can rescue me from my past, no one can help me feel worthy of being protected, and no one can help me to heal unless I am willing to let go of my desire for affermation and validation from others. I realized I have skills that I can use to aid in my own healing. What I have been working on for the past week is learning to process my flashbacks both cognitively and emotionally in a more healthy and adaptive way. I have decided the following:

1.) I want to go ahead and feel the pain, grief, and loss of my childhood innocense and young adulthood memories. I want to do this without regressing in my age emotionally to the time of the abuse. I want to feel these emotions absent of helplessness, hopelessness, and unhealthy dependency on others.

2.) I want to learn to protect my own inner child, love her, and build her worth rather than beating her down and abusing her further. I want to connect with my inner child and have her again be a integral part of my existence in a mentally healthy way.

3.) I want to recognize toxic shame and misplaced guilt by mentally processing my emotions through examining the thoughts that precipitate my negative emotions.

I still have alot of healing to do. I am still very venerable to crashing if I am not careful. But I do have hope that I can heal and I am confident that it is my own hard work that will result in my healing.

2. Register to participate in live chat, PTSD discussion and more.
  3. Monarch

Monarch I'm a VIP Premium Member

Great job Marilyn!

4. Zamboni

Zamboni Active Member

Very powerful

Thank you for your words.

-Zam

5. Nicolette

Nicolette ♡ Supporter Admin ♡ Supporter Admin Sponsor $100+

Good to hear your positive and self-helping thoughts Marilyn!

6. hollyberry

hollyberry Active Member

I think I can learn from you, I'm new to this and don't really understand how it works. Sounds like we are some things in common

7. Trent

Trent Member

Marilyn ... thank u for sharing your courage. Like Hollyberry, I'm so new I barely know how to sign in and to hear your thoughts is very helpful.

8. Hallelujah

Hallelujah Member

Marilyn, your statement in 1) about regression and the age of abuse brought some new insights to my mind. Thnk you so much for sharing that progress and for the words you chose to use.

9. cragger65

cragger65 I'm a VIP

Very inspiring, I want that for me, too.

10. dust

dust Well-Known Member

Wonderfully put! It's good to see those words written down. Thank-you.

11. TLight

TLight I'm a VIP

Thanks Marilyn; That is very helpful. I'm holding on to these words!

12. Debj

Debj New Member

Thank you for the insight. I have recently been diagnosed after carrying this around for 30 years. It is so helpful to know that I am not the only one, and that others have and can learn to cope and maintain a life.

13. Dylan

Dylan Well-Known Member

Thanks for sharing your goals and (self) expectations, Marilyn. I'm inspired to write out my own list of "reasonable expectations" for myself. I've been told that with no clear expectations, how can I expect myself to feel secure? Reading your list helped me get that on a gut level.

Thanks for posting, and I'd love to hear your progress with them!

-Dylan