1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Daily Dose

Get the last 24hrs of new topics delivered to your inbox.

Click Here to Subscribe

Legal Ramifications and Psyco Counsellors

Discussion in 'General' started by love2hate, Jun 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. love2hate

love2hate New Member

Basically. I am a deeply distrusting individual.
    The experiences that I have had, have taught me not to trust anyone. Certainly not the police or the (in)justice system.
    I am profoundly terrified that a C-PTSD dianosis will do me exactly no good.
    I am especially concerned that my young child might be taken from me or that legal issues that I am not aware of might arise.
    So that is my question, might a C-PTSD dianosis result in... I don't know... even more bad shit happening to me?
    I am also afraid of the consellors. When I was a child my mother brought me to a psyciatrist and he tried to use our time together to convert me to Mormonism and completely refused to discuss the abuse I suffered. Luckily, I was able to escape before he did too much damage but... what is the percentage of preditors that become counsellors? I would imagine that it would be quite high.

2. Register to participate in live chat, PTSD discussion and more.
  3. think about picking one licenced by the state even if the state does not require it. Maybe pick one that say is a female .. There is quite a bit of information online about picking a therapist or treating proffessional.
    I used this link for picking one in the US http://www.4therapy.com/consumer/

And I read an article from Money magazine from 2004 on this issue
    http://www.smartmoney.com/10things/index.cfm?story=may2004 It has some guidelines also on picking a qualified proffessional . I know I have had a devil of a time finding a therapist who knows anything about complex chronic PTSD. but really in my experience I have not heard of many whacko weirdo quack therapists. But the ones you do hear about usually land in the news. So the bad press can be widespread.
    I have more trouble with personality conflict issues and new therapists. I am no wallflower, complacent ,compliant client.. So I pick a therapist I am sure I cant run all over that has a stubborn streak. . Chuckling
    But having the freedom to pick who you want to see is different from being sent by a relative to see whoever. See.... if ya dont like one you can fire them.. As a kid you did not have that power. I was treated for a short period of time by psych docs in an experimental program for disturbed children in Oklahoma . Getting pody trained by psychiatric proffessionals at 4 was no picnic. Talk about white smock syndrome!
    Nora in Colorado

4. love2hate

love2hate New Member

Thank you.