• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

List Of Disorders. Anyone Else Got A List?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently did a psychological eval and got the results:

Bipolar Type II with psychotic features, PTSD with dissociative features, Schizoid Personality Disorder and Borderline Personality Disorder.

Before this I was diagnosed with Schizoaffective Disorder Bipolar Type and Histrionic Personality Disorder (which never made sense to me but they insisted just because I'm eccentric and creative with my wardrobe. I absolutely HATE being the center of attention. I'm socially phobic...getting attention terrifies me). In the past I was diagnosed with Major Depression and Generalized Anxiety Disorder, though obvious the Major Depression was actually part of being Bipolar, and my Hypomania wasn't as severe as full Mania so they didn't realize I was in a semi manic state (though to me I'm like a different person).

I'm on meds for the Bipolar diagnosis. It's a bit rocky still, but I manage the psychotic features pretty well. At this point they are almost non-existent. Its the PTSD and personality disorders that really affect my life on a severe level. I've been told Borderline patients are some of the hardest to treat. That's a little discouraging, but I'm going to try my best. Personality Disorders are learned behavior. My parents are Schizoid. Plus I think I developed it from trauma. I think that goes with the Borderline disorder too. There just aren't any meds for that.

I'm on enough meds anyway. Who else has to take meds? I've been on some serious ones, and they made me drool, lack emotion, gain weight, horrible side effects and made me barely functional for almost 4 years. At one point I was taking 11 pills a day. Now I'm down to 5. I hate taking them. They're a pain in the ass to remember. I want to go back to the days I didn't need them so I didn't have to schedule them into my life. Ok...I needed them, didn't know it, and barely survived without them. BUT I still hate taking them. I'm not a huge fan of medicine. We live in a pill popping culture.

I don't believe I have any other psych DX on board. I was just termed anxious/depressed until I self DX'd with CPTSD. It does play out in my body though as they are all connected. I have endocrine, nutritional, sleeplessness, pain, anxiety, depression, panic, and associated addiction issues that make like very difficult to manage.

In terms of meds, I take Xanax, a cholesterol med, a tummy med, and vitamins, but nothing as serious as you. I have tried several SSRIs, but my brain doesn't like them so they are off the table for now. I tried sleep meds - um, nope. I wish I could take something that would calm myself down and am researching natural choices right now.

I hope that you will find some middle ground or peace with all that you are enduring. VB

What is CPTSD? I'm not familiar with that one.

I'm pretty sure all the god awful psychotropic meds I've been on have caused me to develop epilepsy. Which I'm not happy about. I feel like my first psychologist royally screwed me over by over medicating the f*ck out of me. I probably would have recovered sooner had I known I wasn't actually schizophrenic. I'm just. Yeah. I'm not happy about that.

If you do find something natural that calms you down....WAIT. Have you tried chamomile and jasmine tea? Those are relaxing and can help you sleep (they don't work for me, but others swear by it). I know Patchouli has a calming effect as well. I use to take patchouli massage oil and massage it into my arms, legs, neck and back. Floral scents tend to be relaxing, I think vanilla is and baked goods scents are as well. Scents are powerful and can immediately take your mind to a safe, comforting place. Known as aroma therapy. Look into it. :)

CPTSD is complex PTSD. It's where you have lots of traumas across life that layer on top of one another like phyllo pastry. For example with me, I have a variety childhood abuse, relationship abuse, workplace abuse, provider (MD, GYN) abuse, etc... It just all kind of piles on and makes sorting it all out a royal mess. That's therapy though. Do you have a good T to work with?

I hear you on the doctor. I'm sorry that happened. I experienced that as well with a therapist. It wasn't pretty and lasted for 3 years while I was in session, and is still being worked out right now. She did to my mind what she said others did to my body. I hear you on frustration and anger. The duty of care for both of them gets an "F". But, here we are trying, right?! What does that say about us after all we've been through and what we're dealing with?

Thank you for the natural suggestions. I'm very sensitive to music and scents. I do like a good vanilla candle and love the vanilla scented lotion from Bath & Body works. Not too much of it though as it's pretty strong. I talked to one of the practitioners at a little health food store nearby and she suggested some mixtures of herbs that have worked wonders for her husband and her partner's husband for addrenals/endocrine/stress. I think GABA is good for anxiety and ashwaganda is good for the nervous/endocrine systems. The B's are always a good bet, but she told me something I didn't know about the Bs - you have to take them in tandem to get the full benefit from them. So much to learn. Heck, I should've gotten a degree in this instead of a liberal arts that I can do nothing with. At least I could help people. :) Take care. VB

I've only recently been diagnosed PTSD (two years ago). When I was younger I was misdiagnosed with a list of things so now I have trust issues with therapists, psychologists, and counselors. I have been burned and mistreated by so many, and over-medicated, and told I was lying in order to just diagnose me with SOMETHING, I refuse to go through treatment.

I have PMDD as well but that's not severe enough, in my eyes, to really count as something as severe as PTSD/BPD/etc.

Anorexia, PTSD, alcoholism, depression, chronic pain (separated into a few separate diagnosis I don't want to go into because they can't be proven without cutting me open, and the symptoms usually correspond with trauma triggers).

But really I'm just being treated for complex trauma at this point...one framework, but a globalized crapload of symptoms.

(if a personality disorder like Histrionic could really be made based on social awkwardness and eccentric dress, half my musician friends could be diagnosed :):singing:...personality disorder diagnosis should not be handed out lightly...the deal is they affect all aspects of life in a continual pattern)

When it comes down to it though, we are not our diagnosis, we HAVE a diagnosis. Our disorder(s) don't definite who we are, just explain some of our behavior. I keep trying to remind myself this.

PTSD, Major Depressive Disorder, and Schizoid Affective Disorder in recent years. In my younger years, I was diagnosed with Adjustment Disorder and Anxiety.

I've been on just about every SSRI antidepressant. None have really worked. I take that back, Latuda worked pretty well, but I was getting samples from the clinic and they ran out and it's like $700/month. I guess at this point I have to wait for the generic.

I was diagnosed with schizoaffective disorder 5 years ago, and it was the wrong diagnosis. But you know, like I said above, we aren't defined by our lost of diagnoses. So I hope you find some comfort in that. :)

we aren't defined by our lost of diagnoses

I agree. But diagnosis in most cases helps define the treatment. And since insurance doesn't cover mine entirely and I have to take off some work for it, it does matter that I have a clearer understanding of what the root of all of my mayhem is. I used to be bouncing all over between treatments because my symptoms were so bad, and we were just treating the symptoms...

When it comes down to it though, we are not our diagnosis, we HAVE a diagnosis.

The other piece of that is that diagnosis is an attempt to describe what is already present. Getting a diagnosis doesn't change who you are, or anything else about you.

It's like saying I'm artistic... Won't grant me the ability to be artistic. It's just describing something already present.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back