1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Daily Dose

Get the last 24hrs of new topics delivered to your inbox.

Click Here to Subscribe

Living and Sleeping With Car Sounds

Discussion in 'General' started by Claire, Apr 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Claire

Claire Well-Known Member

I'm in the process of moving to a new house. I currently live in the countryside and its very quiet. The new place is in town and although its not on a main road there is traffic. There's also quite a lot of night life not far away so I also get disturbed by people as they return from the pubs. The main problem is the car noises. I find them worse when I'm trying to sleep or I'm constantly being wakened by them. I wake up frightened all the time. I try and tell myself I am safe but it doesn't work. I wake up with my heart pounding. I have the new house on a 3 month trial but how long do I try it for? If I didn't work it would be easier. I dont want to get bad again and the lack of sleep badly effects my work. I've tried ear plugs, I can still hear the traffic. I'm also working on the car sounds and retelling my accident again with my therapist. I just want to be better now. I keep running out of patience. I've worked hard to get my sleep better and now this move seems to be undoing the good work. I've come a long way with my PTSD and I really dont want to go back to the bad days. The whole move is unsettling as it would be for anyone but the car sounds are just too much at the moment.

2. Register to participate in live chat, PTSD discussion and more.
  3. Marlene

Marlene I'm a VIP Premium Member

Have you tried a white noise machine (nature sounds, waterfalls, ect.) or a setting a CD of slow classical music on a repeat loop and playing it in the background? That might help to block some of the traffic noises at night.

4. Claire

Claire Well-Known Member

Thats a good idea. Thank you. I was thinking of getting on of those indoor fountains but a cd would be more practical.

5. bob

bob Member

There are earplugs and earplugs, some work much better than others. Try some like these (the orange and yellow ones). Since you're in the UK you can get them from Blacks, or from an airport. Stuff them right into your ears and I can guarantee you will hear very little. My bedroom is right next to the street and I have only single glazing. Drunken people shout and scream at the weekend and cars come and go yet I hear nothing. I can't sleep without them. I have also had reasonable success with the waxy earplugs. The white or beige cylindrical earplugs are rubbish. Hope you can get some sleep soon.

6. Claire

Claire Well-Known Member

Hello Bob, thank you very much for that suggestion. There's a Blacks in town so I'll make a visit. I was thinking about wax ones too. I have little ears and find it hard to get ones that fit. Children's are usually the best.

Thanks again.
    Claire

7. bob

bob Member

The yellow and orange ones would be ideal in that case. They are very soft and consist mostly of air bubbles so you should be able to fit them in small ears. Once they're in they slowly expand. You have to push them in as far as you comfortably can, it feels a bit strange at first but you get used to them. I do find them the most effective and the most comfortable.

With the waxy ones, you have to warm them up in your hand to soften them, then you can shape them to fit. They're not quite as effective though as they don't expand once they're in and sometimes they fall out. They're also not quite so comfortable.