• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Sufferer Living In Traumatic Situation

Status
Not open for further replies.

KitKaplan

New Here
I have ptsd from childhood abuse and have been in therapy for 37 years trying to heal the damage. Two years ago my niece died tragically. It was deemed a wrongful death due to hospital error. My sister fell apart and came up from Tennessee to ny with my niece's son who was three. My sister was very sick and not expected to live long and since my wife and i are too old to take him my wife's daughter and husband offered to adopt him.
We got hooked up with a family center and got therapy for him for ptsd as he watched his mother die. But as we integrated my godson into my stepdaughters family he began to talk about being abused emotionally and denied water and food. We have a very good case against my stepdaughter who has been violent recently and as she lives in our building i feel im living with an abuser again. She wont be reported for two weeks and i will be helping my sister move away and wont be here. I feel so much anger. My godson has become very fearful and is afraid this woman will kill him. He's five now and will be going to a school where he will see a ptsd therapis three times a week. I wish i would have gotten help at that age.

But as we integrated my godson into my stepdaughters family he began to talk about being abused emotionally and denied water and food
She wont be reported for two weeks
My godson has become very fearful and is afraid this woman will kill him. He's five now
Why are you waiting to report it?
and i will be helping my sister move away and wont be here
Is this the sister that is the child's mother or a different sister? Is the child moving away too?

Why can't it be reported sooner? Surely the Ptsd therapist would report it to children's services? I'm confused ? I'm also very sorry for your loss and trauma you have suffered, welcome to this forum , I'm sure you will recieve lots of support.

Just so you know... It usually takes dozens of reports from a variety of sources (family, friends, neighbors, school, doctor) for CPS to even begin to investigate, unless there is immediate abuse found by investigating officers in a Child Welfare Check (911 call & the police find a child being actively abused, in that moment, not just evidence of past abuse. Even if "past" is an hour ago).

In either case... Assuming an investigation both starts AND finds clear abuse/neglect... AND If it goes to court, AND the parent/guardian is found guilty of abuse... the child is in nearly all cases immediately returned (if they were ever removed, and most aren't removed to begin with) as long as the parent agrees to take a parenting class. In my state that is a 1 day seminar, part of a weekend seminar, the first half being parenting,the second half being anger management. It's 8 hours in total.

Not sharing this to be a downer... I've just found that most people honestly believe that reporting means something will "happen", or conversely that if "nothing" happened then clearly no one ever reported anything.

I would contact Child Protective Services.
A major hospital has taken his case but his therapist wants him safely out of town before they call child services. This weekend alone i had two conflicts with my raging stepdaughter who text me from her husbands phone claiming i am harrassing them because i asked not to leave garbage in the driveway for me to take out. She is acting out making noise after midnight over my sisters room so she cant sleep. After mt stepdaughter is reported i will ask them to move out. If it were up to me i would already have called. My wife will flip and i hope she doesnt leave me.

I don't understand why this can't be reported immediately? Sorry if I'm being dense.
If reported now he will be tied up in 6 months of investigation and my stepdaughter is dangerous. He is moving in two week to go to a school where he will see a ptsd therapist 3 times a week. My sister will live with my cousin who is a nurse and can help her more than i can. I have chronic fatigue. My ptsd and fatigue have gotten worse since this happened

Why are you waiting to report it?

Is this the sister that is the child's mother or a different sister? I...

I have one sister who moved in with me when her daughter died. She has custody of my godson

Just so you know... It usually takes dozens of reports from a variety of sources (family, friends, n...
A local family center that has a year of records from weekly meetings with the child's therapist and the grand mother's therapist, and two of his doctors and a social worker from a major hospital have been putting together names of people to be interviewed and feel they have a good case. The child was never adopted and removed from contact.

Im not sure this is always true. My borderline niece said something once to her therapist which was a lie about her new stepfather and there was a 6 month investigation. Thats all i can hope for. shes moving out anyway.

Umm, please someone explain why they (Kit + Sister) can't just walk into her (step niece) place with police officer, then take child?

Your sister is the one with actual legal custody correct?

I have sympathy for your and sister's ill health, however. If I had knowledge of a child whom I have legal custody of, fearful of being killed in the near future. I think I could put him up for a fortnight, get him calmed down and Safe.

If your sister has custody, and the niece doesn't want to hand him over, it becomes unlawful confinement and or kidnapping. Felonies, not misdemeanour noise complaints, or suspected child abuse. No lengthy investigation required.

They don't hand over child to legal guardian, the police don't go in with a warrant, they go with a swift kick from a size 12 boot.

Did I read your post wrong?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back