• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Llama Drama

Status
Not open for further replies.

Justmehere

Sponsor
I don't normally read CNN, but I did today. On the front page, next to stories about international kidnappings, human rights violations, and a state governor's suicide... is the most RIDICULOUS story ever. EVER.

Llamas Go Free, Internet Goes Crazy

Yep. Someone left the gate open, llamas got out, and TV helicopters filmed the whole thing.The internet freaks out and then that becomes a news story too.

Because why? Because society has LOST ITS MIND. Or maybe just these reporters.

How is this a thing?! Maybe I am the one losing my mind! Probably.

I'm a HUGE supporter of silly news, but this wasn't even a funny story (in my opinion). It's some livestock that got loose. It happens thousands of times a day. It is funny how much the news got into doing a story on it and there are a million llama jokes going around, but geez.

What news sources do you rely upon, if any? I don't watch any news anymore, as it is too triggering, but I want to know what is going on in my world. I normally read the BBC. I'm curious as to what others do to connect to news sources without getting too triggered and yet actually finding out actual news. Not more llama drama.

At least it's not Fox News... yet. >_>

I usually go to the weather network, and even then they're like an oracle. Luckily I've found Gigi. She's much better at forecasting.

I'll take llamas over violence anyday :) But I didn't read the actual story.
I usually find out about news weeks later, when I hear people talk about it. Sometimes when I feel up to it, I read the local online newspaper.

I prefer to read online independent journalistic type publications. They're usually opinion pieces, but informed ones.
Not the screaming "be afraid now" type.

I have not watched the news since about 1990. I get my news sources from the internet, that way I can choose what I want to read about instead of being passively exposed to crap. Alternet.org is interesting, and I like the BBC sometimes too. I usually just stay out of it really, and most people watch TV so if anything is abuzz, I end up overhearing people talking about it, and then do my own searches if it interests me.

Yep. Someone left the gate open, llamas got out, and TV helicopters filmed the whole thing.The internet freaks out and then that becomes a news story too.
Huh?
Shaking my head to see if things make any more sense that way...

I live in a semi-rural area. Used to live in a very rural area. One day I had to sit down and have a good laugh at the traffic jam I was seeing down the road from my house. First my neighbour came along hurrying to catch up with his herd of goats on their way back from grazing. The herd came face to face with several children on horses going the other way, and the whole menagerie was then intercepted by a large flock of wild turkeys ambling down the road. No llamas, but they frequently escaped bounds and roamed at will at other times.

Darn it all, it never occurred to me to call the journalists. Think I could have made a big commission?

What news sources do you rely upon, if any? I don't watch any news anymore, as it is too triggering, but I want to know what is going on in my world. I normally read the BBC. I'm curious as to what others do to connect to news sources without getting too triggered and yet actually finding out actual news. Not more llama drama.

National Geographic
Smithsonean
Associated Press (the blurbs that reporters mine to find stories to research)
Peer Review Database
US Embassy press releases (most are online!)
A few other country's embassy press releases (some are online)
Travel Warnings & Interdictions
K&R quarterly updates, I like to keep tabs on some old friends
Some scientific journals
Some tech journals
A few blogs (my blog list is a little schizoid; from Neil DeGrasse Tyson, to religious leaders, to sex workers, to restaurant owners, to NGOs).

I dabble in conglomerate news sources, but don't rely on them:
BBC
Al Jazeera
New York Times
Dave Barry & Jon Stewart & Stephen Colbert

Uhm because the news caters to city people....this kind of thing happens all the time out in the country. Us country folk think nothing of it, but it is pure entertainment for those who live in the concrete jungle... Yawn?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back