1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Daily Dose

Get the last 24hrs of new topics delivered to your inbox.

Click Here to Subscribe

Long Time - Update and Encouraging News

Discussion in 'General' started by cookie, Nov 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cookie

cookie I'm a VIP

i have been only "in and out" for a while, so i don't know many of you. but i wanted to just stop in and say, "hang in there," it really does get better.

i am down to 1 med now, traz to make me sleep some. i intend to go off of it soon. it has been 2 and a half years, and many meds, and lots of therapy to get to this point.

i am nearly as "normal' now as i once was. still triggered sometimes , but i can back up and shut down the symptoms somewhat. life is finally holding a promise of something besides being entirely wrapped up in ptsd and me, lol.

so, hang in there, keep on going, and do the right thing, it will help you get back as quickly as possible, even though you really don't feel like it.
    cathy

2. Register to participate in live chat, PTSD discussion and more.
  3. She Cat

She Cat I'm a VIP Premium Member

So glad that you are doing well.......Yes it does get better!!!! I always say, There is life after PTSD!!!!!

4. hollyberry

hollyberry Active Member

thanks for the hope. I really need to know that I will get better

5. Kathy

Kathy I'm a VIP

Lovely to hear from you Cathy, I don't believe we have spoken much however I know you have chatted with Evie on several occasions. It is marvelous you are doing so well now, thank you for sharing that with others.

Holly, it is definitely possible to learn to manage your PTSD (there is no cure as of yet), but management is in reach if you are willing to work dilligently upon yourself. Please do remember though that the timeline for getting better varies from person to person, and with the severity of the illness. Some people, such as my daughter, were diagnosed on the severest end of the PTSD scale, so her symptoms are much more severe than in most. She has worked very hard upon herself for the past year and made great strides. Unfortunately however, her PTSD is very severe and so she is having to come to grips with the fact that there are some things she may never be able to accomplish. I strongly believe she will have a very fulfilling life, however the PTSD will always be in the background and she will always need to be vigilant in managing herself.

I am telling you this Holly to encourage you, as I am trying to encourage my daughter now, to not compare herself to others here. That is a problem she is having at the moment. Some may improve vastly in a year, however please don't feel badly if you are not one of them. There is a wide range of severity of PTSD upon this forum; likely you do not know yet where you fit in that range. Measure improvements based on yourself (i.e. how you are in a month based on how you are today) and not on the improvements or abilities of others. Keep a diary here or record of your symptoms so you may gage over the months just how much you have improved. Do take care and I hope you are feeling better today. I gather yesterday was difficult.

6. txmomof3

txmomof3 Active Member

It is wonderful to hear you are doing so well. I am just starting my intensive work...so it is great to know that the light at the end of the tunnel is not a train.

7. Nam

Nam I'm a VIP

Hey Cathy! Good to hear from you....I've been wondering about you. I'm glad things are going well for you. It's amazing, isn't it? When you think back to the very first posts on here and where you are today? Be proud. Glad you're doing well! :smile:

8. anthony

anthony Renovation Aficionado Founder

You have achieved phenomenal success in your journey thus far Cathy.... well done and keep up the great work.

9. hollyberry

hollyberry Active Member

thank you kathy for the words of encourgement. Today has been some what better. I got rid of a huge stressor today. I'm a store manager and this is not the right time to get sick. I told my boss today that it was time for me to go out on FMLA. I have 13 weeks to get better and get my job back. might not get the store I had but will beable to go back. Now its time to deal with my stuff. any help I get is greatly apprecated. Thanks