• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Looking For Anyone That's Out There Dealing With Ptsd 100% Prescription Medicine Free.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I refuse to take meds for this stuff. Last time I took meds was when I was with the ex and it didn't go...
I have more to add. I don't say much about this for fear of offending people but I just can't do it anymore. Aside from this site and what I've said already the biggest thing that has helped me, no THE biggest thing that has helped me is my relationship with Christ.

I have more to add. I don't say much about this for fear of offending people but I just can't do it anym...
@Zoogal, amen! I have indirectly and hurtfully felt the sting of unbelievers' posts here in this forum. Everyone has different beliefs, yet I do not understand why a few here post negative things about others' belief systems? And I am not trying to convert anyone. I, like you @Zoogal do not speak to most people (only a select few) in here about my spiritual connection with God through Jesus Christ. I also do not offend others here for their beliefs. I'm not in a good place with my maker Father God, at moment. I've been using profanity with asterisks to unsuccessfully cover up the full curse word.

For this is where I'm at in recovery right now. I'm mad as h*** at Father God. Passing the buck (so to speak). And as you Zoogal already so wisely know - recovery I am told here in this forum by many members is not a destination - it is a journey. And we are all at different places in our sojourning through our painful memories, nightmares, and traumas. And perhaps you and Hmaybe even I will be a light to others. God even utilizes unbelievers to do his mightiest works (biblical as you know). Zoogal, thank you for posting that you too are Christian. I know God when I ask and that is constantly and repeatedly forgives me for cursing. Am in emdr right now. And it's awful. Horrible. I hate it. Have emdr session today oh hate it. Yet, I know @Zoogal it is working and initiating brain reprogramming and desensitizing (numbing and dulling down) horrific trauma memories. Fondly, JJ

I have more to add. I don't say much about this for fear of offending people but I just can't do it anym...
If someone's offended when you're professing your faith, and you're not attacking them, they're the ones lacking sensitivity, not you. Your faith in christ helped you, and has done wonders for me, why not share that in our path to recovery?

Just don't forget, many of us have been hurt by those claiming to represent some sort god, and some people have had to walk away or take arms against even the slightest suggestion of God or spirituality. They attack not because they hate, but because they're hurt. I'm a devout christian but you'd never believe in my youth I was very angry with god. So I know from experience. The only thing that brought me back was the truest act of love and patience from a few good saints. That's what some people want but won't say.

Despite the anger and their attacks, try not to take it as an attack. "Patience and love" has been my mantra for a few years when people expressed pain and anger towards me, and it's helped me get to know some people better.

technically naturopathic.
Also psychotropic.

The best comparison is probably Lithium - it's just Lithium, a chemical element, that has been identified to have a number of uses, including as a psychotropic medication/drug. Marijuana is no different - it is a plant, identified to have a number of uses, one of which is as a psychotropic medication/drug.

Whether or not something has been synthesized in a lab vs. is being obtained 'naturopathically' is only the difference between regulated dosing and guesswork.

I've got no problems at all with cannabis use - but it's a psychotropic drug, and it is not in some class outside of other psychotropic drugs. It happens to be one of the more potent and not-fully-understood ones, actually, which in some ways should encourage people to treat it with more caution, not less.

I used celexa, then Lexapro and Ativan for 9 months. Side effects were the reason I weaned off. I manage myself with routines, consistent exercise, cbd oil (Jayden's juice, legally obtained), planned social outings, love of my family and animals, planned down time, and striving to be kind to myself. It's far from perfect, but it's working. In a way, the pharmaceuticals not working motivated me to work harder to live without them. Therapy helps too.

It's a drug, but technically naturopathic
What @joeylittle said!

People take all sorts of stuff to help them, and if cannabis is your thing, that's cool with me. What I think is important is that we are all honest wih ourselves about what we're putting in our body and why.

From what I see, people take cannabis based on their personal values. That's cool. But that's the reason, not because it's inherently more "natural" or "healthy" than other options.

And by the way, I was told by my doc that Lexapro is the newer version of celexa, so I usually only say I've used celexa. They were trying to adjust dose and 'update' me. It only made things worse.

It really makes me wonder why lithium isn't naturopathic.
Well, it is.

Lithium Orotate is something you can buy in a health food store. It's unregulated.

Lithium Carbonate is what you get from a doctor.

I'm not enough of a chemist to really explain this - basically, the Orotate form uses one kind of ion to 'carry' the Lithium, and the Carbonate is using another.

Why is it regulated, then?

Well, it's been in medical use since the 1800s, for various conditions. Lithium salt even became a popular replacement for table salt in the 1930s/40s, for people trying to reduce sodium intake - that's how it was discovered to be toxic at high levels. So, no more of that. It was also an ingredient in early soft drinks (7up, just as coca-cola had cocaine).

In the late 1940s, an Australian doctor started using it to help patients with mania. There was much to figure out, about what levels were toxic, how to monitor it, etc. The Carbonate form was the cheapest to produce; no-one has ever gotten rich off of lithium because of a patent. There's nothing to patent, really.

Today's lithium most commonly prescribed is carbonate, followed by lithium citrate. Orotate has not really been studied sufficiently, in terms of whether it offers substantive benefits over those two. Lithium bromide and chloride were the ones sold as table salt, and no-one has gone back to the idea because of the toxicity issues. No real research on the medical application for lithium fluoride and iodide, under the assumption that they'd have the same problem.

Why not just get it over the counter?

The FDA is not wholly evil. You have some reason to believe, when you pick up your prescription lithium, that you are getting the actual mineral you are buying.

When you buy it as a supplement, without a prescription - you have no guarantee whatsoever.

See how much this all has in common with medical marijuana? The notion right now is that when you go to a dispensary, you have some amount of confidence that you are getting the plant prepared in a certain way - vs getting it from a dealer, where it may not be as promised.

The problem with the 'naturopathy' concept is that natural does not equal safe; nor does it equal reliable. Nature is chemicals. Everything is chemicals.

There's a lab that pretty much does nothing except cannabis research, and they believe they have found a way to isolate CBD in a controlled, repeatable, lab-based manner. This is great - because CBD is the non-psychotropic component of the marijuana plant, the one that won't accidentally start a psychosis. It's the compound that our bodies are primed to react to. It's actually what most people want out of their medical MJ - the 'high' is just the byproduct from other compounds, specifically THC. THC is potentially useful also as a psychotropic in its own right, for the treatment of schizophrenia and other mental illnesses. Isolating all the parts of the cannabis plant - known as 'cannabinoids' - will allow this plant/drug to become infinitely safer and more reliable than it currently is. Just as Lithium went from being something found in natural springs that helped with gout to one of the most dependable psychotropic medications on the market.

Sorry - I get a bit on the soapbox about what 'natural' and 'naturopathic' really mean. In my opinion, that's simply another kind of marketing scheme for a different kind of drug-selling.

It's a true thing that the nearer a substance is to being part of the organic human system - the more potent it is likely to be. Our bodies require certain minerals; we all consume trace amounts of lithium regularity. It's in non-processed food. It's in water. We also have physical receptors specifically for cannabinoids. We make certain kinds of cannabinoids inside our wn bodies. It's not surprising that the plant has many applications for the aid/treatment of the human body, in various ways.

Drugs that are purely synthetic - that work to create replicas of organic compounds - are often simply not as effective. So, when people talk about the benefits of 'natural' vs 'drugs'.....what I think they mean is more like the difference between eating 'whole foods' (i.e. a bare minimum of processing) vs 'processed food' (things that call themselves food but might have very little whole food present, or unadulterated).

They are both good. Either one can provide calories and minerals and nutrients - but one is closer to a primary source of nutrition, and the other, isn't. And they exist on a spectrum. There's chicken breast from a chicken that has lived a drug-free life, then there's enhanced chicken breast, then there's pre-cooked and preserved chicken with breast meat, chicken deli meat, and somewhere way down the line, things sold as 'chicken strips' that may contain parts from all over the chicken carcass, that have been processed, retexturized, dyed, chicken-flavored, and shaped to look like chicken.

All substances that we use to affect our health - they all fall somewhere on that spectrum of natural to synthetic. But it's got more to do with what's in it, and less to do with what form it's coming to you in. Natural is not innately better; and 'drugs' regulated by the FDA are not necessarily highly synthetic.

/end soapbox

After having used both pharmaceuticals and non 'pharmaceutical' drugs, I came to realize they were just different means to the same end. One is not inherently "better" than the other. It's a matter of finding what brings the individual relief and helps them to feel better and cope, in a manner that improves their quality of life. We are each unique in how we respond to any drug. Had I been able to tolerate the many side effects that I was experiencing on pharmaceuticals I would probably still be using them. Especially since they are more affordable than alternative meds. I think it's important not to judge ourselves based on how dominant culture 'frames' this drug over that drug. The goal is to stay alive and learn to thrive, and that's going to look different for each of us, and that's okay.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back