• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Lost My Job And Devastated

Status
Not open for further replies.

anonymous

MyPTSD Pro
I lost my job. I worked for my company for over 28 years. I was blessed to be elevated up through the company. The last few years have been hard personally but I have 200% to help them get to where they needed to be and I did it. And I crashed. All of this medical and mental all at the same time.
I tried really hard to get back. But time ran out. Now my current option is long term disability. I hope it comes through.
I have so many emotions running through my head, as if I didn't have enough already.
I feel devastated.
I need a bridge to help me figure out how to go on. I'm afraid.

I hope it comes through for you too. Something similar happened to me, and I was on long term disability and SSDI until they cut my LTD for no reason. I got an attorney, but their doctor lied and said I was fine so even though my functional analysis test showed I couldn't work, they denied my appeals. After that I had to have an MRI, and it showed how much worse my back was, but it is too late now. Keep up with them and give them everything they ask for. Make copies of everything. Good luck.

Losing your job after so long and working so hard is a big shock.

You don't hint at your age, I'm guessing fifties? Please don't write off your chances of working again. When you are ready.

Are you seeing a therapist?
Long term illness and losing a job too, can really puncture your confidence in a way that doesn't always correspond to your true abilities, especially if you have PTSD and an internal critic that keeps on berating you...
A Therapist can really help with that

Do you have hobbies and interests that you are able to keep your mind active with and that help you get out and meet people?

Sorry that this is a bit of a sting in the tail, but, do not neglect your self care, food, rest, having a life and looking after you.

@Anarchy is right, find what you enjoy and start filling your life with those things. Of course it will take some time to adjust to your circumstances. I was in denial for a year. Well, I still am, really. What really helped was self-care and finding new things I was able to enjoy and giving up the guilty feelings about not working. I am 57, became disabled when I was 52, and I have adjusted to having very little income and not seeing people on a regular basis.

If you are in the US, there is a site called MeetUp.com, where you can look for groups that you might be interested in joining. My thoughts are with you.

I remember when I was invaladided out of my job at the age of 50, I was devastated, confused, and angry, but as the pain increased in my back with time, I realised that the doctors were right.

I had been made redundant a few times before in my working career, but that came with the industry,
and the job I did in it. I had even been made redundant from staff jobs as well, that were supposed to be more secure and permanent?

I remember it was a horrible thing to go through at that time, but looking back on it now, it did give me variety in my work. Yet, it's like everything else that happens to us as we go through life, what was terribly important back then, seems trivial years later, good luck.

I lost my job. I worked for my company for over 28 years. I was blessed to be elevated up through th...
That must be so incredibly tough for you, I can only imagine in what pain you must be in right now. It is not just about the money, when a person works it helps them to be a productive member of society, to help with a common goal to provide products or services. That is why so many youngsters who don't work go on to crime.

Even if you do get disability does it allow you to continue on productive work? Are you allowed to work within a certain capacity at all if you take disability? Just wondering. I hope that you will get through with your quest, should not be punished for trying your best.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back