• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Lots to Figure Out - Husband Shot Me

Status
Not open for further replies.

dani730

New Here
I suppose I will begin with my story to better explain myself. On the evening of June 25th my husband and I were preparing to go to sleep for the night. We had been dozing off to sleep when I started to sneeze, not uncommon, so I got up and made my wayin the dark out of the bedroom to the kitchen. When in the kitchen I took an allergy pill and grabbed a bottle of water from the refridgerator. On my way through the house I picked up a box of tissues off of the stand in the living room. As I turned to open the bedroom door I dropped the tissues on the tile floor making a loud smacking noise that sounded throughout the house. I then stood up with tissues and water in hand and opened the bedroom door to make my way back into bed. As I opened the door I could hear my husband fumbling around as if he had fallen out of bed. He hadn't fallen out of bed, he was preparing the shotgun to tend to what he thought was a 6' intruder coming through our home. My husband, my whole world, shot me leaving me with buckshot leaving eleven holes and already depressed mind to heal. Six weeks later I am very happy to say that I am physically healed quite well. The mental anxiety is very difficult to deal with though and that is why I am here and wanting to learn all that I can to make this any easier. I am absolutly terrified of night time, no matter where I am. I have racing thoughts, especially at night, and trouble sleeping. Some nights I just lay in bed sobbing because I am so consumed by the fear of night and my husband has no idea what to do. I don't know what to do myself let alone what I want him to do to help. I have seen a professional , that diagnosed me with PTSD, ADHD, and depression, and will continue to do so every two weeks. He has given me meds for the pre-existing ADHD and new stuff for anxiety, nerves, and sleep. Right now I feel quite overwhelmed with everything and not sure where to begin and what will really help me get though when having a moment. Any support or suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Welcome to the forum... there is lots and lots of information and support here for you and your husband if he also wishes to join. What a scary experience and my heart goes out to you and your husband.

Dani,

Well I guess that you are feeling a little like the bottom of your world just fell out. I can imagine that you are going through some really rough times right now. It's ok, to be upset, but you really need to put things into perspective so that this doesn't spiral out of control.

What happened was an accident, I'm sure that you know this....I'm sure that your husband is also going through his own kind of hell too. It may be beneficial for him also to join the group, or to do as much reading as he can to understand more of what you are going through.

I would think that fear and anxiety are your biggest problems to overcome right now. As anxiety is just an emotion from a previous trauma(being shot is your fear) that you will be able to overcome this is a rather quick time.

Great job for finding and looking for help really fast. The quicker you seek help, and work on things, the faster you can heal.

Keep posting, and everyone will help in whatever way they can.

Hugs,

Wendy

Dani

I just wanted to say welcome to the board. I think you're in a good place to look for information and support.

Good to hear your injuries are healing up physically so now you can give yourself the time and space for what is going on, on the inside.

:hello:

Skyward

Glad your physical wounds are healing. That must have been beyond horrible. I hope this forum can help you heal the emotion aspect. Let me just say welcome!

Hi Dani, welcome to the forum. Good thing it was buckshot... looking at the positive side of things that is. No doubt a lot to do with why you have anxiety now? Your thinking the same maybe.... "what if" it wasn't buckshot?

What a Jerk!!

Welcome!!!! Glad your alive. There is alot of support here. I am sure your still in shock right now. Again Welcome:loopy:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back